Ch. 13: Why I Became a Hero

-----Shinobu's POV-----

"Welcome back, Tamaki. Have you figured out the answer to my question?" I questioned quietly as Tamaki and I made it to the same clearing we had been using for training. The timid boy nodded shakily before replying.

"Yes ma'am... B-but will you please tell me why you became a h-hero first?" he requested looking like he was about two seconds from pressing his forehead into a nearby tree, so I decided to tell him in hopes that he would relax a bit.

"Okay. But it's not a very nice story," I admitted as he nodded in acknowledgement, his shakiness reducing as I sat down on the plush grass in the clearing and potted the spot next to me, indicating for him to sit which he did.

----Flashback Shinobu's Age: 6, Hizashi's Age: 8 (Shinobu's POV)---

It was the first weekend since school had started that I had gotten to go to the park with Hizashi-nii-san, and I was ecstatic! All morning, I had been running around the apartment, still quieter than most kids but I was clearly buzzing with happiness throughout breakfast and while watching tv waiting for nii-san to arrive.

Once he arrived, we quickly made our way to the nearby park where we are quickly approached by some of Hizashi-nii-san's friends from school. Hizashi-nii excitedly waves at them and introduces me as his adorable little cousin, Nobu-chan.

Wanting to make a good impression on his friends, I tried to give a kind smile and be outgoing enough to say hi. However, my nerves were pretty shot and I found myself accidentally activating my voice quirk as I shouted, "HI!"

I quickly found myself beginning to panic. The world becomes silent, and I watch in horror as Nii-san's friends as well as some of their younger siblings who had tagged along began putting their hands over their eyes in panic and blinking frantically, a sure sign that I had accidentally cancelled all of their sights.

"Oh no! What do I do? I messed up big time now!" I thought in a panic until a warm hand squeezes mine before I am pulled into a comforting hug which helps me calm down enough to deactivate my quirk.

"Wow, Nobu-chan! Your quirk is really powerful, huh?" Zashi-nii encouraged, trying to make light of the situation by releasing me from his hug and shooting finger guns at me with a big smile.

"Hey! What the hell is wrong with her?" One of the kids yelled as I looked around and realized they had surrounded us, and every one of the other kids looked angry and/or scared. Suddenly, we were bombarded by taunts and accusations to the point that it was hard to discern who was yelling what in my current state.

"That girl is a villain!"

"Yeah! Only a villain would have a quirk that can blind people!"

"They should just lock her up now and save everyone around her from dealing with her!"

"Hizashi-kun must be her accomplice so she can lure victims in!"

"Yeah! She's obviously some kind of demon! I mean did you see her eyes turn black and those black veins on her face? Freaking creepy!"

Biting back tears, I finally yelled out, "Zashi-nii has nothing to do with this!" and turned and ran away as fast as I could, not turning back till I was a couple of blocks away, tears now freely streaming down my face.

"Nobu-chan! Give me a heads up next time you want to have a race!" Zashi-nii teased in between pants as he caught his breath from running after me before he noticed the tears flowing from my eyes. His expression suddenly became serious, and he pulled me into a tight hug.