Chapter Ten

"All right. First off, I wanna say I'm sorry. I know I really screwed the pooch on this whole going-back-in-time-and-getting-stuck-thing." Five began as we all sat around the living room. "But the real kick in the pants here is...we brought the end of the world back here with us."

"Oh my god, again?" Klaus said whilst walking around holding a large bottle of alcohol. Everyone else sort of looked at each other awkwardly. "All of you knew? Why am I always the last one to find out about the end of the - oh my god. My cult is gonna be so pissed, Five! I told them we had until 2019." Cult? Klaus is a cult leader? This family just gets crazier and crazier.

"We have until Monday. We have six days." Five told him flatly.

"Is it Vanya?"

"Klaus?!" Allison yelled.

"What? It's usually Vanya." He took a chug of his drink.

"It does sound like it's usually Vanya." I said mostly to myself but got a side eye from Allison so I quickly shut my mouth.

"Do you have any leads, Five?" Vanya asked, disregarding mine and Klaus' comments.

"Yeah, we have one." Five takes a file from Diego and passes it to Allison.

"Holy shit. Is that dad?" She exclaims after examining the picture of Reginald Hargreeves.

"Yeah." Diego told them.

"That's him?" I'm guessing if Vanya doesn't remember anything, she probably also doesn't remember their father.

"And he's standing on the grassy knoll." Diego is obsessed with that grassy knoll.

"Diego and I have been trying to talk to dad about what exactly this means." I cough loudly to gain attention and Five stares at me. "I'm sorry. "Y/N, Diego and I have been trying to talk to him. So far, we've got nothing."

"Not nothing, we know he's planning to kill Kennedy."

"Maybe. But we don't know who or what sets doomsday in motion. Could be Kennedy, could be something entirely independent. But if we know something changes in the timeline, we have to make it right."

"Yeah, but how, if we don't know what's broken?" Allison asks, very valid question.

"Oh come on, do the maths. We know dad's having shady-ass meetings with some shady-ass people. We know he's on the grassy knoll in three days to kill the president." Again with the presidential threat from Diego. "So I think we all know what we have to do." There's a slight dramatic pause.

"What? What do we have to do?" I shout with my hands raised in question.

"Find Dad."

"Kill Dad." They both say at the same time, Five looking back at Diego with a very disturbed look.

"None of us are supposed to be here right?" Vanya spoke up. "I mean, what if it's us? Has anyone here done anything to screw up the timeline?"

There was another awkward silence as everyone looked around at each other. Then chaos.

"Diego's been stalking Lee Harvey Oswald." Luther said first.

"And you're working for Jack Ruby." Diego fired back.

"Allison has been very involved in local politics." Klaus this time.

"Okay, you started a cult." Allison threw back at Klaus to which he hissed and growled like a cat at her.

"I'm-I'm just a nanny on a farm." Vanya told her part. "I don't have anything to do with all that."

"Well, maybe you do, we just don't know it yet." Allison stated, then a loud whistle was heard from Diego.

"Listen to yourselves. Everything in our new lives is connected to Kennedy. That can't be a coincidence. Luther works for Ruby, Allison is protesting the government, Dad is on the grassy knoll, Klaus is...doing something weird and pervy but probably related." Great, he's monologuing. "See, clearly we were all sent back here for one special reason: saving John Fitzgerald Kennedy."

Suddenly everyone started talking over each other and arguing, the volume just getting louder and louder until I had to cover my ears and look to Five begging for help but he looked like he was spacing out until he said, out of nowhere.

"Guys you all die. I was there. I saw it. And I wanna forget it, but I can't." He looked down at the floor and I rushed up to stand beside him and placed my hand on his shoulder. "I saw Russian nukes vaporise the world with all of you in it...in a war that never happened until we brought it here. And Hazel gave his life to save us, so you may need to shut up and just listen to me."

He sounded so desperate, not shouty like he normally is. It was so heartbreaking to listen to him, but we all did.

"I don't know if the things we've experienced here are all connected. I don't know if there's a reason for everything. But Dad will. We need to talk to him before everyone and everything we know is dead."

"Okay I'm out." Luther surprised us all by just standing up and starting to leave.

"Did you even hear him, Luther?" I shouted just before Five could because how could someone just walk away after that.

"Yeah. Yeah, I did. I heard a 58 year old man who still wants his daddy to come and fix everything. Well, you can count me out. It's time we all grew the hell up."

Everyone started getting up after Luther and calling for him to stop, but he just ignored it and headed for the stairs. That's when Five teleported and stopped in the way of Luther, however I was still holding onto his shoulder. As we landed, I was unprepared and was about to slip when I felt Five's arm snake around my waist and he pulled me close.

"No one leaves until we figure this out."

I held tighter to Five, scared of the look on Luther's face, then suddenly his hands were grabbing our clothes at our necks, lifting us, and throwing us over the side of the stairs. Five quickly grabbed me and teleported us outside. While he gained his balance again though, I fell onto my side, scraping my elbow and hitting my head on a small rock.

"When did the monkey learn how to fight dirty?" My groans of pain gained Five's attention and he ran to me, kneeling beside me. "Oh my god, are you okay?" He held his hand out to me and I took it, allowing him to pull me up.

"Yeah. I'm physically alright, but I'm pissed." I said checking out my scrapes and touching my head, noticing a bit of blood on my fingers. "What a psycho?!" I yelled.

He used the sleeve of his jumper to wipe the blood from my head and suddenly stopped in his motions as our eyes connected. My breath caught as I looked deeply into his dark pupils and noticed how close we had become. His gaze flickered briefly down to my lips and I could have sworn he was going to kiss me. But suddenly there were stones being thrown at us from above.

We both looked up to see Lila standing on a rooftop, smirking down at us. Then she took off running, disappeared for a second, then reappeared running past the entrance of the alley.

"Son of a bitch." Five said, then grabbed my hand and we ran after her.