Chapter Twelve

"You've got a good nose." The woman said. Lila was starting to struggle more under Five's foot, but he held strong while he spoke.

"You know, planting her in a psych ward, taking advantage of my simpleton brother, that was smart."

"Well, the apple doesn't fall from the tree." She looked down at Lila in a sort of loving way.

"She's your..." Five began but was interrupted.

"Daughter. Yes." She finished for him. "And she's my only one, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't crush her windpipe."

What kind of mother lets her daughter be tortured for that long? I thought.

Five finally let Lila go after a moment of hesitation and Lila jumped up from the ground, stepping close to Five and getting in his face.

"I am so going to enjoy killing you someday." She tells him.

"Lila, darling, would you give us a minute, please?" The woman asks her.

"Yes, the grown-ups need to talk." Five smirks at Lila. She rolls her eyes but walks away knocking a paint can across the room as she goes and causing a loud clatter. She climbs onto some old boxes and sits down.

"And you too, little missy." The woman looks at me behind Five's shoulder. I look at him wondering if I should and he just nods slightly at me, so I follow Lila over to the other side of the room. I stand across from her bouncing awkwardly on my feet. This whole saving the world thing seems to be very confusing and complicated. Lila is staring hard at me and it's making me uncomfortable.

"So..." I start, wanting to get rid of the awkward silence, "That's your mum, huh?" She just continues to stare blankly at me.

I look back at Five and the woman, who is now standing insanely close to Five's back and dancing behind me. It makes me shiver to see it because even though I know Five is like old, he still looks like a kid. Lila scoffs at her mother's antics.

"Is she always so creepy?" I ask Lila, still watching them.

"Tends to be, yes." She replies, also keeping her eye on them. Five begins walking towards us, their conversation seemingly over, and he holds out his hand for me to grab.

"But remember, doomsday's just around the corner," The woman shouts over, "And the way things are going, I'm your only option." Five scoffs and turns back to look at her over his shoulder.

"Not yet you aren't." Then he turns back and teleports us both outside the building.

We begin walking heading back to my home. He isn't speaking but I have so many questions so I just start blurting them out.

"Who was that woman? What did she want? And why is she your only option? Also why did she look so familiar?" I know I'm rambling but that whole situation was so confusing. Five stops and turns to look straight at me so I do as well.

"Her name is the Handler, she works for the Commission, where I used to be employed."

"What's the commission?"

"They are in charge of controlling and keeping the timeline in order." There seems like there's more to it but he seems hesitant to tell me.

"Okay..." He nods and then continues walking so I follow behind him.

"You said she looked familiar?" He asked me.

"Yes, I feel like I know her face, but I have no idea where I've seen her before." I tell him looking at the ground confused.

"Okay, come on, we gotta get back and talk to the others." He says and we continue on with more speed in our strides.

***

When we got home my dad was hiding in his red room, he came out when he heard the door slam shut.

"Where have you been? You've been gone for hours." He asks, coming over to me and checking me over for injuries.

"Dad, I'm fine." I tell him, brushing him off, but when I see the look on his face I stop and give him a hug. "I'm fine." He sighs then turns to Five, grabbing an envelope off the table.

"This came for you." He hands it over and Five rips it open.

"What is it?" I come over and look at the paper over his shoulder.

"It's an invitation." He reads it aloud. "To my pursuers, I Reginald Hargreeves, request the pleasure of your company for a light supper on the 20th November, 1963, half past seven o'clock, 1624 Magnolia street."

"Are you going to go?" I ask him.

"Yes, we are. Let's get ready."