14.

In the absence of Verena, the rumours themselves had spun out of control.

Aemond Targaryen had officially taken Lady Baratheon as his mistress.

He was sighted entering her chambers again in the night and was not seen leaving until early morning. The petty gossip passed through from guard to guard, servant to servant, all the way to the nobles. Though that was not the only rumour that echoed the red keep.

It seems that Aemonds own wife, Verena Targaryen, and the King himself held an odd relationship. Though she was fortunate that no one had suggested the possibility of Aegon and her being lovers.

Yet.

Most of the women in the castle didn't know who to be jealous of.

Lady Baratheon or Verena.

One had managed to capture the personal attention of a fierce prince who never paid mind to the ladies of the court and the other managed to capture the powerful attention of a King who had not bed any woman in months.

Everyone was held with nervous excitement and fearful anticipation to see Verena back and perceive how she would react upon hearing the rumours herself.

Thanatos and Verena had just landed unknown to the buzzing of her arrival. What would the Queen do? The question that had been asked multiple times by every rank that resided in Rep Keep.

"I think Saphira loves me. Did you see the way she blushed?" Thanatos gleefully asked as they were entering the castle.

"She is a dragon Thanatos. It is impossible for her to blush." Verena levelled her eyes at the newfound interest he had in Saphira.

"No, she did."

"Your stupidity never fails to surprise me." she sighed shaking her head.

"I think someone is jealous that her dragon favours another."

"You realise if I commanded her to eat you she would not hesitate."

"Ah, I see the jealousy has already festered." The pair laughed at their jokes. Thanatos had honesty helped brighten the dreadful mood of Verenas throughout the lengthy ordeal. He cracked jokes and would constantly nudge her in their hours of flying that she was an embarrassing drunk when she was jealous.

He was a friend she was glad to have by her side.

"Thanatos." she whispered as the two walked side by side through the halls. "Is it just me or is everyone staring?" He looked around to see that the members of the court who roamed the halls possessed their eyes fixated on Verena as they whispered to one another.

"Hm. They've barely seen you freely roam the halls. Maybe they are not used to it."

"Your grace!" Allora rapidly sprinted towards Thanatos and Verena from the end of the hall. "Queen Verena!" she again yelled coming to a sudden halt.

The two women clutched each other's hands as Allora tried to regain her breath. "Allora is-"

"I had to tell you before you heard from another." she gasped still trying to properly breathe, "Prince Aemond." Allora spoke in a hushed whisper.

"Is he alright? Did something happe-"

"Prince Aemond has officially taken a mistress. The lady Baratheon." Her worried face inadvertently dropped into a puzzled look. She felt her throat go dry as Verena tried to swallow the lump that was caught in her throat. Her lips parted to speak, but Verena couldn't say anything, she looked round the halls to those eagerly watching.

A false smile was merely presented on her face, an unconvincing one, and Verena snatched a deep breath in, "He is allowed to do what he pleases." she lied feeling her body heat up.