20.

"Must we go Aemond?" Verena groaned under the covers where she valiantly attempted to hide.

"My mother begged we go. We have been back four days and have barely left our chambers." he sighed pulling the covers off her, leaning over Verena. "Just this one supper."

"You did not complain in Bralia when we were locked in our chambers."

"That was different Rena. We're back home now."

"This isn't my home Aemond." she scooted away from him and sat at the edge of the bed, instantly lowering her head. "We will never be free of him."

Aemond however had not told her. There was no precise time for him to do it, and he was certain that she would never agree to it, even though he desired for her to.

Although they had no arguments or problems with one another in the four days since they returned, being back here brought back memories both wished they could forget. Verena didn't know how much more she could tolerate typically knowing Aegon was somewhere nearby. The fact that he had the power to barge into their chambers at any time and do whatever he desired.

She even hated the fact that he had decided that he would wear his eye patch again because he would be around other people.

Everything was just so much easier when they were gone from this place.

Aemond kept quiet mostly and wistfully watched Verena read or enjoyed her braiding his hair in peaceful silence. A habit she developed that somehow bought a profound sense of apparent calmness to her. It was on top of that something that calmed him as well, such a feeble gesture that held the ability to relax them.

Not only that but Viselar still would not let Verena mount him. On the nights when she snuck out with Aemond to see them, Viselar would always turn away from her and not allow them to get too close. She did everything, apologised and pleaded with him to forgive her, even tried to bribe him with sheep but nothing worked.

But at least Aemond was learning to bond better with Vhagar, even to the point that she would fully listen to her rider's command. If Aemond told her to lift her wing, she would lift her wing. If he told her to breathe fire in the air, she could breathe fire in the air. It was new to him to feel the bond between them stronger. That feeling Verena shared in her chest with her dragons, Aemond experienced it as well.

It was only the night that allowed them to escape everyone and everything.

For a key moment, Verena paused in front of the doors that lead into the dining room but shook her head to focus and entered with Aemond behind her. The second she saw Lady Baratheon sitting there Verena pivoted to leave but was forced to turn by Aemond.

"You came," Alicent joyously declared standing from her seat and went to hold Aemond by his arms. "Both of you." she smiled clutching Verenas cheek.

Two seconds in and she sincerely wanted to throw up and leave. Maybe there was still time to jump from the window. Though for Aemonds sake, the sake that this woman was his mother all she did was smile, forcing herself to endure the touch. It was starting to get overly long, and Verena stepped away to take her seat.

The options themselves were not that tremendous. Either she could sit directly in front of Aegon with Aemond sitting between her and Lady Baratheon. Or she could sit at the edge with Aemond at her side but Otto would be near her.

"Oh seven hells," she muttered fiercely and chose to sit across from Aegon, not looking up at him once.

Straight away she poured herself and Aemond wine, neither could go through the whole thing sober.

"Did you two enjoy your time alone?" Alicent eagerly questioned sipping her wine. "How was Bralia?"

"Well," Verena responded positively gulping down her entire glass in one motion and refilling it. "A shame it was suddenly ruined." with a glaring stare she looked at Aegon who was gripping his glass with a harsh expression to her. Others round the table did not notice the knives being tossed back and forth between Aegon and Verenas eyes except for Aemond. He was convinced that any second she would reach across the table and slit his throat while everyone watched.

"I do not remember allowing you two to leave for a sudden honeymoon," Aegon spoke sternly.

"I do not remember having to get permission from you to take my husband to my kingdom," Verena replied bluntly staring up at him.

"Two weeks. You were gone for two weeks. Then you locked yourself in your chambers for another four days." he seethed leaning forward. "Do not speak." Aegon snapped viciously at Aemond when he opened his mouth. "Or I will have your tongue."

"My wife quite happens to enjoy my tongue." The reply made Verena smile, because she was aware of the truth of the statement, but also because of the way Aegon's expression changed.

"And your fingers." she nudged him as she consumed her wine.

"And my fingers," he sneered enthusiastically.

"Beware of the beast inside the glass," Helaena whispered tensely which cut the tension short. Verena blinked at her and then inside her glass with bafflement. She chose to disregard it, but something struck her mind about what Helaena had said in the past.

"Blood will spill, and a scream will shatter with death," Verena whispered anxiously looking at Helaena with a sudden feeling of nervousness. First, she looked at Aegon with her eyes broadened, then slowly at Aemond and softened her eyes.

We Targaryens are often driven mad by our dreams.