21.

Verena had been nervous the past few days. She would deliberately avoid Aemond trying to figure out how she was going to finally tell him everything.

And depending on his possible reaction he would either go with her later in the night to see Rhaenyra or she would be going alone.

Even if she caught a glimpse of him in the private halls Verena would grab Allora and swiftly run away from him.

It seemed pathetic of her to be so drastic, but she couldn't help it. The distinct possibility of their marriage being ruined once again was something she put off for so long.

It tortured her to force herself away from him for days. Even during the night she would sneak into their chambers and slide under the covers. Only to be gone when he would awake.

She had constructed the ideal plan to kill Aegon. In the middle of the night, she would sneak into the throne room where he would mostly spend his time alone with no guards nearby and cut his head off. That's when she would signal Verenax to fly to Dragonstone as a sign it was done. Her own men would also arrive from Bralia sufficiently prepared to fight off the guards.

If Aemond mutually agreed the crown would immediately be placed on his head with the support of the Lords to support his claim.

And finally, finally, the war would be over.

Although if Aemond did not approve the plan to terminate the war Verena would have to leave. It was foolish, but she had convinced herself it was necessary.

Impatiently waiting for Aemond in their chambers Verena kept merely picking at the bleeding skin round her nails. She was entirely nervous to the point she could faint at that rushing feeling that spread all over her body.

She heard him slam the door and stood dreading the critical moment. It did not help at all considering how angry he looked at her.

"Have I done something?" he questioned angrily, unable to bear the cruel separation he endured for days. "Wronged you in some way?"

"No," she whispered anxiously shaking her head.

"Then why have you created this distance between us Verena! Why do you run away when you catch a glimpse of me? Why do you sneak into our chambers in the night and run off when the sun rises?!" Aemond shouted furiously feeling himself losing his entire composure.

"Aemond." her words caught inside her throat. He was visibly outraged and now that anger would combust when she tells him the truth. Verena was gradually preparing for the terrible possibility of her marriage once again being ruined. "I'm going to kill Aegon," she revealed believing her heart was about to burst from her chest.

"What?" he questioned no longer seething with pent-up anger.

"I'm going to kill Aegon," Verena repeated once more.

"No, I'm going to kill Aegon."

"What?" she was entirely not expecting that to be his answer, "Since when?"

"Since that day we came back from dragonstone."

They both stood blinking at one another in utter bewilderment. Both of them had been dreading the moment for so long, purposely forcing it aside to not cause problems but it seemed this entire time they had the same exact plan.

Aemond could not believe the relentless pressure that seemed to lift off his shoulders when Verena revealed why she had been avoiding him. This whole time he believed he did something wrong, that Verena did not feel for him the same way he felt for her. That the love they had for each other had died off.