Chapter 8

At a Carnival.

A carnival was organized by the community on a Saturday. It was a masked carnival; you either paint your face or you wear a mask, but you're not to be easily recognized. Some students from school including myself offered to help set up all that will be needed for the event. Then we all departed to get dressed.

At six pm, the event was set to start, we started with entertainment, songs from different upcoming artiste, even Cole performed and it was wonderful.

Then it was display of talents, whatever talent you believe you've could be displayed. A young man came to display a fire talent- as I called it- it looked like he was coughing fire, it was fun to watch but yet scary. Another came to pass a straw through his nostrils and drank milk via it, I was particularly disgusted by this performance.

A young girl, about 9, performed Beyonce's Single Ladies, her voice was fantastic. Two kids ages 4 and 5 performed Chris Brown's Yeahx3. So much talent was displayed.

Some artistic works were also displayed. A student from school made a portrait of Bob Marley, must be his role model. Stephen made a portrait of Taylor Swift, he's obsessed with her.  Other portraits like that of the President-Barrack Obama, Vin Diesel, Chris Brown and so many, were displayed.

"Hey, Tiff" I turned and saw Annie.

"How did you know it was me?"

"I saw you wear your mask, remember?"

"Sure, sorry"

"Are you having fun?"

"A lot of it, infact"

"Superb, I am too, so much hidden talents"

"Yeah, waiting for the world to recognize"

"Which talent would you wish you had, if you were to make a wish?"

"To have the talent of drawing, in a super cool way, be able to draw anything I conceive in my head"

"Me too, I always wish I could draw, it's amazing how lines become a person and all that."

"Yeah, were you able to talk to Merissa?"

"Yes, she tried talking to me when she saw me making new friends, but I didn't let that stop me."

"That's an  improvement and a decision you've made."

"Thank you for being kind and helping me out"

"You're very welcome".

"See you later"

"You too, bye."

"Bye."

I felt inspired by her words, I couldn't believe I could help someone half way through their problems. I was glad that I could and I did. I didn't see any of my friends through out the carnival night, so I basically had my fun alone- just like old times. But I made another set of friends, they were standing beside me all through the event and gave their  individual remarks on the performances.

My new friends were twins and were very much younger than I am. Two boys,  Toby and Terry, they were 12, they came with their younger siblings, a boy and a girl. They talked like geeks, smart ass and I got fond of them immediately.

"Hey, beautiful girl" I blushed.

"Hi, twins, what are your names?"

"I'm Toby, he's Terry"

"How old are you cuties?"

"12, but I'm older" Toby blurted out.

"That's not true, we came out together" said Terry.

"No, we didn't" It looked like they always had the argument so I had to step in.

"Cool it off guys, let's enjoy the carnival"

"Yeah, sorry". They said in chorus.

Soon they left and I was alone, again.

And soon it was time for the parade around twelve streets, an announcement was made for lines to be formed, as I lined up, someone held my hand, but was wearing a mask, so I couldn't notice who it was. I felt uncomfortable and asked him to unmask himself, he did, it was Stephen. I was surprised, why is he holding my hand all of a sudden? We barely even say 'Hi' unless in the cafeteria and moreover he's Cassie's friend, not mine-yet. I smiled at him amidst my thought and he wore his mask back moving closer to me.

--------------------------------