VII

"There it is!" Luffy squeaks, spotting the shop.

He dives until he hits the shop sign and tumbles into the snow below. Dusting his wings and shaking off the snow, he perches on a windowsill looking into the shop. The glass felt cool to the touch, but he could almost feel the heat radiating from a fireplace on the other side. People smiled and laughed as they looked through the dresses and suits for the parties they would have with their families tonight. Luffy scanned the room, locking his eyes on anyone that wore glasses. He grew more and more frustrated with each incorrect assumption.

Where is she?! he squeaked quietly. Sabo said she would be here!!

"Thank you so much, Love!" a plump woman guffawed, twirling in a very large dress. "My sister is sure to be jealous!"

Luffy hid as the woman bounded out of the shop and continued her way down the street in a euphoric frenzy. He watched after her and frowned. She's loud. I wonder if everyone here gets as excited as the family during Christmas.

"That was the loudest customer we've had all evening," a woman wearing a curled ponytail grumbles, carrying a large blanket to someone who just walked out of the dressing rooms.

"At least she's happy," another voice says. "There are hardly any shops that have her size."

"Or maybe her jolliness was too much for them to handle."

"What's wrong with being jolly on Christmas other than the incident that happened years ago?"

"Nothing at all. It's just that people get loud and scream their heads off when they get too jolly. Children are the worst. You think their parents will give them gifts when they act so boisterously?"

"They can't help it. They're children. We were like that once."

The girl with the ponytail scoffs. "But we weren't that loud. We only squealed."

"But don't forget how much it annoyed my mother."

Luffy quickly grew bored of the conversation and peered into the window to see the woman talking with her helper. His small eyes grew wide and he breathed. As soon as he saw her face, he knew that he'd found her. He watched as she takes the blanket, chats with her helper some more, and ascends the stairs. He follows upward and perched on the windowsill looking into her room. The woman lights a candle and spreads the blanket over her bed before falling onto her back and sighing from a hard night's work. Luffy leans against the window and watches her rest.

Her smooth, wavy, hair fell across her chest, blanketing her neck. Her arms were spread out to the sides of her body in a relaxed position. Her head was facing the window so Luffy had a good view of her face. He couldn't deny that she was lovelier than any mortal woman he's seen before. (Despite having no romantic or carnal interest in them.)

She's perfect for Sabo! he thought. She's pretty and nice! She made a woman happy with a dress! He placed a wing under his chin. If she can make clothing, she can make us disguises for hunting and the pretty dresses that Tama always wanted to wear! He squeaks with happiness, considering the possibility of having her in the family. I hope she likes Sabo. Will they get married? That would be so cool! Will she like Tama? I hope she likes children. Tama would get along with her so well.

"What's this?" a voice asks from the window.

Luffy covers his snout, not realizing that his squeaks had awoken her. He uncovers it when he starts to fall off the window and grabs onto the sill before he could land on the snow below. The window opens and the lovely woman looks down at him. She smiles.

"It's a baby bat," she coos. "What are you doing hanging by the edge of the window? Where's your family?"

Luffy's small heart thudded against his chest at the sound of her voice. He looks away from her shyly and lets out a small squeak. The woman gushed as she placed him in her hand.