XX

The mansion was quiet for the next couple of days. The air was hauntingly still and silent as if time were frozen. During those days, Kaya sat on her bed with her knees brought to her chest and her arms resting around them. Her health was improving, but she was still weak. She felt lonely with the nights she spent recovering in her chamber, but she couldn't forget how important this was for the plan.

"This plan shouldn't be as hard as the ones we had back at our village," Lovely explained. "We're dealing with a city vampire rather than a wild one, which means Klahadore is slightly weaker than vamps we've faced before." 

She takes a sheet of parchment and a quill to dip in ink. She draws a rectangle to resemble Kaya's room and symbols and points as she details the plan. Luffy, Chopper, Kaya, Tama, and Usopp watch her, listening closely so they won't make any mistakes.

"We'll all meet in Kaya's room. I'll hide in the closet, Usopp behind the semainier, Luffy behind the screen, and Tama and Chopper under a table. Kaya will stay in bed until Klahadore comes in for his usual meal. When Klahadore is close enough to drink her blood, Kaya will signal us to ambush him."

"What should I do?" Kaya asks.

"Say 'lily' or 'lillies,'" Lovely says. 

Kaya nods. "Proceed."

Lovely continues drawing. "As soon as the word is spoken, Usopp will take a shot for Klahadore. If he misses and Klahadore puts up a fight, Luffy, Usopp, and I will try to apprehend him. He'll be distracted with fighting us to try to reach Kaya. That's the opportunity for Chopper and Tama to help Kaya rush safely out of the room. Get out as fast as you can and head to the carriage we took to get here. Your destination will be Hyde Park. At that distance, Klahadore wouldn't be able to track your scent easily if this plan doesn't go as, well...planned."

Usopp gulps, Luffy's brows turn up, and Kaya interlaces her fingers. Each of them was worried.

If the plan doesn't go well. . .

We could die, Kaya thought.

This could be the last time I see Kaya, Usopp thought. I won't be able to return home. And I'll fail Zolo and Alice in looking after Lovely.

I won't see my friends or Tama again, Luffy thought. His heart drops. I won't meet Oraios again.

Lovely feels the anxious tension in the room and tries to reassure everyone. "I am hypothetically speaking of the last part. There's nothing to worry about, Kaya. There's not a single challenge a vampire hunter fails." Lovely pauses as she briefly thinks back to that fateful Christmas. "This may be our most difficult issue, but it's nothing we can't fix." 

Kaya nods. 

Usopp places a hand on her shoulder. "Are you sure you want to help us? You don't have to place yourself in danger like this. We can-"

"Yes," Kaya interrupts. "I let him into my home. I have to drive him out, too."

Lovely nods. "There's no turning back."

Kaya jumps when she hears a thud coming from the inside of her closet. She sighs when Lovely quietly apologizes. Her foot only hit the inside near the door. Kaya whispers, reminding Lovely to stay quiet or the plan will fail. Moments later, Kaya hears a knock at the door.

"Miss Kaya, may I enter?"

Kaya gasps, recognizing the voice. Klahadore had arrived. Everyone else in the room stiffened, and all was quiet. Kaya takes a deep breath and mutters a silent prayer before she turns her head to the door.