XVII

Lovely slowly rouses from her sleep, taking her head off Luffy's shoulder. She lets out a soft inhale to not awaken anybody.

Chopper, Tama, and Luffy rested their heads on each side of the carriage. Tama didn't move a muscle since she joined the group on their journey. She slept for a few days, not drinking blood, which concerned Lovely. When she gently stirred Tama out of her sleep, Tama insisted she wasn't hungry and said she would wait for food until they got to London. Lovely, not believing a single word the child said, would feed her when Luffy wasn't looking. She always lets Tama know when to stop by helping her recall Luffy's anger from the last time she drank from her arm.

Chopper fell asleep during the day as he spent the past two nights watching over Lovely and Luffy if he needed to alert them in the middle of the night. And to assure himself that Tama wasn't up to any funny business, such as planning to escape as a bat to return to her cave. Luffy followed suit, checking on Tama once in a while. Luckily, she did not attempt to take such action.

Lovely cracks open a curtain and looks at the grey clouds above her. She noticed the carriage wasn't on a dirt road anymore. The ground was solid and firm, making the carriage rattle a bit.

"Are we almost there?" a voice whispers in her ear.

Lovely jumps back into her seat, closing the window beside her. She looks to her side to find Luffy awake. She gasps.

"I'm sorry!" she whispers. "Did I wake you?"

"No," Luffy says. "I don't sleep, remember? I rest."

Lovely nods, placing her hands in her lap. She looks down awkwardly. Chopper was sleeping, and Tama was resting beside him. Since Lovely and Luffy were the only ones awake in the carriage, there should be something to discuss, but nothing came to mind. If only he were living, Lovely would take the opportunity since the children were asleep and allow him to embrace her. She groans with frustration, not knowing what to say. She brings up his new home to him.

"Are you nervous?" she asks.

"Hm?" Luffy looks at her after zoning out.

"About staying someplace new with more people than you're used to," Lovely says, rubbing her arm.

Luffy looks outside his window and sighs. "A little..." He suddenly perks up. "But I'm more excited than nervous. I'll see Oraios again! Hopefully..."

Lovely smiles warmly as she nods. She leans back into the cushion behind her. She would have to reveal Oraios's true identity one way or another. Knowing Luffy, he would search every street corner and alleyway in London to find her. When there was someone or something he treasured, he would search high and low. He would turn the world upside down if he could. She rubs a hand on her temple. What am I going to do?

A tiny squeal coming from Chopper brings Lovely out of thought. His cheeks turn red as he quickly draws back to his side of the carriage. He awakened and discovered himself leaning against Tama's side. Lovely giggles as Tama rubs her eyes to rise from her rest.

"What happened?" Tama asks. "Are we there yet?"

"No, but I think we're nearby," Lovely giggles. "And you scared Chopper."

"Did not!!" Chopper exclaims with a tomato-red face. "She surprised me!" He crosses his arms over his chest and huffs. "I'm brave!"

Lovely giggles as she tussles his hair. Chopper groans, blushing, as he hides his face under his top hat.

From above, Usopp nearly runs through another carriage with gold doors and matching designs etched below the driver's seat. Usopp quickly pulls on the reins, and the horse abruptly halts. He breathes. "That was a close one."