IX

For the next week, Lovely, Chopper, and Usopp ran the shop while trying to hide Luffy from any customers that might take notice of him. Even a chirp or squeak would alarm them. As a result, Lovely began closing the shop at sundown to keep the customers at bay. Luffy would be able to wake up and crawl around the kitchen counter by the time they left.

Lovely loved watching him attempt to reach a small bowl of blood or a fruit slice as a quick snack to fill his belly. She would coo when he finally snagged them in his teeth.

"Look at you~," she whispers, unable to handle the adorable sight. "You must feel much better if you're more energetic than usual."

Squeak! Luffy smiles and crawls to her hand to rub his cheek against it. He chitters with satisfaction as she gently brushes a thumb over his head. He was living in luxury. He could have all the animal blood and sleep he wanted without hiding himself from his brothers. The most rewarding part of his stay was spending the next weeks healing and getting to know more about Lovely.

Her favorite color is maroon. . . She loves sewing and writing. . . She enjoys the company of her friends and often walks with them during shop breaks. . . She wears glasses because she's near-sighted. (That wouldn't be a problem once she's turned.) . . . She's delighted when a child comes to the shop. . . She's selfless, standing up for a person like that. . .

One night, he watched her fill a journal with amorous writings, telling the story of an unnamed couple through the eyes of the woman. She kept this journal secret from anyone that passed by. When Usopp or Chopper cast a glance her way, she quickly shut the book and continued writing once they finally gave her privacy.

"Of course, my love," he said to me, firmly squeezing my hands together, not tearing his eyes away from mine, she wrote. "I would die a thousand times more if it means we can finally live together with the desire we have for each other."

She's romantic and passionate, Luffy thought.

He tried to picture Sabo speaking those words to her. The emotions that arose within him were not what he wanted to feel - disgust with a touch of jealousy. He shook his head, dispelling those emotions before focusing on speaking those words to Lovely himself. This time, a more pleasant feeling washed over him like a gentle wave.

He envisioned himself and Lovely together under a blooming tree in spring at sunset. The petals falling from the tree would be caught in her hair, refusing to let go. She would be shy to meet his gaze because she would assume something was wrong with her appearance. But little would she know, he admired her and cherished every second he had left with her. As soon as the words would leave his mouth, she would be overtaken by an intense craving for him, holding him close and afraid to part him. They would wish that time could stop at that moment so they could be with each other until the end. And just before they depart to their homes, he would place a hand on her cheek and...

He sighs, sinking his head into the counter. Lovely notices his sadness and feels concerned for him.

"I know what will help you!" she exclaims. "A nice, warm bath! Will that cheer you up?"

Luffy looks up from the counter. Squeak!

"Perfect. I was thinking of having one, too. A bubble bath for me and a cloth bath for you."

Luffy's eyes widen when she picks him up. She'll have a bath, too?! With me?! His face heats up. That means. . . He places his wings over his eyes.

_____

Lovely places Luffy on a seashell-shaped soap dish and begins to undress. She was about to untie her corset when she looked at him. When Luffy noticed he was caught staring, he blushed, covering his snout with a wing, and whimpered. Lovely giggles.