XVI

Usopp looked around the forest, making sure the coast was clear. When no danger approached, he gripped the reins tightly and pulled back as hard as possible to slow down the horse. It whinnied and grunted. The carriage shook with the force of hooves thumping on the ground.

"Woah!!" Usopp exclaims as he tries to keep himself from falling off his seat. "Steady there!"

The horse grunts, moving forward but slowly this time. Usopp holds the reins in one hand and his shotgun in the other. His finger hovers over the trigger, pointing in different directions that are darker than the other. He wipes cold sweat from his forehead and puts on a brave face.

You're a vampire hunter! he thought to himself. You're not afraid of anything! Nothing's going to happen unless you run away! He gulps. If anything does happen, I have Chopper, Lovely, and Luffy to back me up.

Lovely grips the handle of her sword with so much pressure her knuckles turn pale. Her nails dug into the palm of her hand to distract her from the adrenaline of fear. Having to face a creature more powerful than her frightened her more than she thought. With years of training, you would assume she had gotten over that fear by now. How long did it take Zolo to calm this terrifying rush of fear?

The sound of rushing heartbeats and the feeling of Lovely's warm blood circulating quickly through her body caught Luffy's attention. He could tell she was stressed and anxious about the impending battle. He looks out the window, thinking of a way to calm her.

"Lovely?" Chopper asks. "Are you okay?"

Quick, labored breaths answered his question. Lovely began to shake. She shields a hand on her mouth to silence her quiet sobs and soft whimpers. Luffy was startled. Her heart pounded faster and faster. Her head was bashed with thoughts of death and the need for comfort or encouragement. Chopper reaches out to her, but she pulls back from his hand, continuing to shake like a frightened child.

"Ah...! Ah...!" Lovely exclaims, sobbing. She lets out a tiny wail before screaming into her hands. The sound frightened everyone in the carriage.

"Lovely!!" Chopper exclaims. "Lovely!! Calm down!! What's wrong?!"

"NO!!" Lovely screams. "I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO DIE ANYMORE!! I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT!!"

Luffy quickly wraps his arms around her. She grabs his shirt firmly, trembling and crying into his chest. He lays his cheek atop her head and waits until her cries have diminished. Once he was sure she calmed down, he slowly rocked from side to side, humming a soft tune. Lovely opens her eyes. Where did he learn to sing so well? He wasn't much of a singer when he was alive.

"Ah...?" Lovely utters another cry.

Luffy rubs her arm and speaks softly. "Breathe and listen to me. Believe everything I tell you."

Lovely nods and closes her eyes. Luffy takes one of her hands and helps adjust her body to where she is comfortable in his arms. She takes shuddering breaths. Each breath accompanied an affirmation that calmed her nerves.

Inhale. . .Exhale. . .

"You're safe."

Inhale. . .Exhale. . .

"I'm here." Luffy gently squeezes her hand.

Inhale...Exhale...

"Nothing is going to hurt you."

Inhale...Exhale...

"You're strong. We'll fight with you if you need help."

Inhale...Exhale...