27. The Council

"You must be Cerberus," Kore said as she scooted backwards and found her footing.

One of the dogs blew air from its nose in warning.

"I'm Kore," she informed it. If Hades wasn't afraid of it, then surely she had no reason to. "I'm going to be Hades's queen!" She added, not knowing if the creature understood.

Cerberus stepped back and sat down, lowering its head onto the ground to rest.

Well, that's good enough, she thought. It was only an animal she convinced herself and reached out to pet the middle head. The dog warily recoiled and Kore didn't persist. "I hear you like music," she remembered, and sat beside her fallen instrument. She got it upright and ran her fingers against the strings. The other two heads went alert.

Kore laughed. "I can play much better than this, I promise," she said, and proved her statement by playing the new song she had learned. She got lost in the music, and kept on aimlessly playing well after Cerberus had fallen asleep. Sometimes its exhales weaved through the harp, adding to the melody.

"Traitor," Kore heard him say before Hades walked up from behind her to pet his dog. She didn't stop playing.

"Like master like pet," Kore said, referring to his distance from her.

"Do you think so harshly of me?" Hades questioned as he leaned against Cerberus.

"Why shouldn't I? You love me, but won't love me. You make vows to me, but won't make me your queen."

Hades chuckled. "No deed is without reason, sapphire," her eyes snapped towards him at the nickname, "no gain without l..."

His warning was cut off when the sky literally crashed down near them. Hades quickly put himself between Kore and the invader, Cerberus standing behind her.

Sparks of lightning flashed in the dust and debris, and Hermes walked out. "On the king's decree, Kore must return with me to Olympus at once!"

Hades looked to the ground behind him.

"Where's my mother?" Kore demanded, not taking a step.

Hades cocked a brow at the messenger. Hermes didn't reply.

"Answer her," Hades demanded.

"Y-yes. Demeter's the one who called the council," Hermes informed them.

"The council?" Kore asked, not yet familiar with it.

"Of course," Hades realized and turned to her. "The humans are suffering your mother's sorrows. Something has to appease her. I am certain it's not possible without your return."

"I can't go. Not now," Kore defied, and took a step away from Hermes as she paced the floor. She couldn't go back now, not when she hadn't... Forget marriage, the thought of murder influenced her more. Zeus had been furious, and had hurt mother for her defiance. What would he do if she...?

Her thoughts broke as she tripped on Cerberus's paw, and Hades caught her before she hit the ground face first. "Zeus!" She exclaimed. "He, he's angry with us! I," she tried shrugging his hands off her but couldn't, "I can't go back! Not now. Not when he's... when he's..."

"Kore! Kore," she finally heard him calling out her name. Hades grabbed her flailing hands and pinned them between as he pulled her closer. He hated seeing fear on her face, and wanted to strike Zeus down then and there.

Hades cupped her face, making sure she looked at him. "You'll be fine! He won't hurt you-"

"He almost blunted mother!" Kore recalled.