30. Evergreen

The next morning, Kore wake up alone in the bed. She turned to face the other side and found light coming from the adjoined room. She got up with the blanket wrapped around her shoulders and strolled over to the office.

"No rest for the wicked?" Kore asked, leaning against the door frame as she watched him work.

"You're awake," Hades greeted her with a smile.

Kore walked up closer and Hades leaned back to allow her to sit on him. She sat sideways on his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck. She tightly kissed his cheek before he turned in to kiss her properly.

"Sleep well?"

"Better than ever before," Kore winked and Hades laughed.

"You have to work, even today?"

"A God's day is never done," Hades reminded her, swiping a scroll off his desk.

"I see. And what exactly is a goddess of spring supposed to do down here if you're always going to be working?"

"Whatever she would like to do," Hades smiled as she played with his hair. "This will be your home for some moons. I suppose the Underworld could use a touch of spring."

"I can work with that," Kore smiled.

After leaving Hades, Kore went out to explore her new realm. She had seen the interior of the castle far more than she had the outside, so decided to start there. Kore found her way to the two ceiling high doors and pushed them open, letting in an eerily pleasant yet heavy breeze.

The outside was dark, only lit by the torches sparsely lining the palace grounds. The illumination was brightened by what seemed like clouds atop the path that wound upwards. There was also a way spiraling downward, but the dark red flames-were they flames?- emitting from that direction scared her.

Ignoring either, Kore walked straight, strolling beside the river. Not long after, she met company.

"Hello, Cerberus!" Kore turned to face the beast. The three headed beast was always an intimidating sight to see. She took a breath and convinced herself it was only an animal, and she was good with those. Kore stiffened and smiled as she reached a steady hand towards them. The three heads leaned in, hot pants almost blowing her down as they sniffed at her. Satisfied, Cerberus sat down in front of her.

Kore laughed. "Will you take me on a walk? I'd like to get familiar with my new home."

The dog perked up at the offer and was ready to lead. Kore placed a hand against one of its front legs as she walked around the Underworld. At last, they found a spot of light coming from what looked like a cave. Kore left Cerberus and went towards the light, regretting it immediately. The Guardian of the Underworld was immediately in her path, growling at her till she stumbled and fell back.

"Bad Cerberus!" Kore turned to find Selene approach. She helped her new queen up onto her feet. "You know she's not going to leave any time soon!"

Cerberus whined and sat down in front of the cave.

"How do you like your new realm, your majesty?"

Kore smiled hearing her new title. "I'm not sure. I haven't seen it all yet."

"Oh but I bet you've seen all of what you truly wished to conquer," Selene winked at her.

Kore blushed. "Well, we are wed, you know?"

"I'm very well aware. So, when is my feast?" Selene inquired.

"A feast?"

"Well, you are queen now, Kore. It is your duty to keep your subjects pleased."