9. How We Met

In the morning, Demeter woke Kori up early for her meeting with Hestia. The young girl dreaded it every minute while getting ready, imagining the horrible consequences Aunt Hestia could have in store for her. Mother dressed her in the most 'serious' clothes she had. Kori looked like she was going to a meeting. So boring! But, finally it was her birthday week so at least she had that to look forward to when she was done with Aunt Hestia. Demeter made Kori have a good breakfast that morning so the girl would have good energy for the day. After breakfast, Demeter put her daughter in the carriage herself, making sure the driver would take her straight to Hestia.

The carriage drove out of the palace to the outskirts of Olympus. Even Demeter's gardens were in the mainland, and Kori had never really had the reason to be out here before. She eagerly peered out the window, enjoying the wild, uninhabited nature. Soon they were finally on Hestia's land, marked with posts and fences. The house was definitely-hers. Not glamorous like the palace, but big and splendid. The carriage stopped at the front door and the footman helped her out. Kori fixed her dress and took a large breath before waving the carriage away.

The servant opened the door on the third knock and welcomed her in with a smile.

"Welcome, princess Kori. Lady Hestia has been anticipating your arrival today."

"Well, I didn't wish to keep her waiting." Kori answered as she stepped into the house.

"You'll find her in the office. Second door to your left ahead."

Kori followed the given instructions and found the door right where it was said. Not like doors moved on their own! Silly Kori! You got this! Kori knocked on the door and a voice called her in.

"Good morning, Kori. How are you doing today?"

"Well thank you. And yourself?"

"Oh, just busy as always but fine, thank you. You're probably wondering why you are here?"

Kori laughed a second. "All morning, actually."

Hestia laughed.

"Oh don't worry yourself. Have a seat." She waved her arm towards one of the sofa chairs and got a box from her desk. "Cookie?"

"Yes, thank you," she said as she took one.

"So, something interesting happened on Family dinner night." Hestia began as she took the seat across. "Your mother thanked me for taking care of you in her absence."

The cookie suddenly became too dry and Kori swallowed hard.

"Of course, I played along. But now that I have you here, why don't you let me know the truth."

Kori sighed. "I probably have no right to ask you to not be mad, but here it goes. After homecoming, I followed father into this room with a blue fire."

Hestia instantly knew what room her niece was talking about.

"After father left, I tried it out on my own and... he came. He animated my toy for me."

Hestia smiled. "And then your tried it again when your mother was gone?"

"Sort of. I... I took the fire home." She looked ashamed.

Hestia was surprised. "H-how did you manage that?!"

"I got Thalia to bring me one of her father's chalices. She doesn't know what I used it for! It was only me." Kori defended her friend.

"So I'm guessing you managed to summon Hades considering you're standing here good and well?"

"Yes. He fixed the roof and let me keep the portal if I promised to use it sparingly. Then mother came home and she saw the fire and I said it was from you. I supposed it'd be the least trouble considering the others aren't so accustomed with lord Hades."