14. It Starts With a Dance

"Kori! We're leaving!" Demeter yelled into the cabin, waiting for her daughter to come down.

"Coming, mother! I'm coming!" Kori's voice came before she came bounding down the stairs.

"And I thought you'd be out before I!"

"I'm just so excited! I wanted to be absolutely sure I had everything I needed."

"Well have you got it?"

"Yes yes, mother! Now let's go."

Demeter called her chariot and the goddesses got on, going up to Olympus for the Autumn solstice.

No sooner had the chariot crossed the Golden Gates that Kori hopped off, vinning her way to Aphrodite's parks. She hadn't spent too long catching up with Eros before Demeter caught up and dragged her to Zeus's court.

Kori was happily welcomed back and spoiled with gifts from all those who doted on her. Her father gave her the most, things of her greatest desires. Demeter then took her to their tower for rest, but Kori snuck out to meet her friends. It wasn't until she noticed his absence at dinner that Kori remembered him.

This time when they returned to their tower, Kori stayed in. Even though there was a spell on her room, she waited until Demeter was asleep before going to her portal. She made her blue flowers, perfected on her time in Paros, and tossed them into the fire before pushing over the chalice.

Kori waited for him to step through the portal, rereading his letters as she did. She was so immersed in the letters that she didn't hear Hades come through.

"Welcome back!" He whispered behind her ear and Kori jumped with a shriek.

"You're the worst!" She scolded him as he laughed.

"Quite literally."

"So, how've you been?" Kori got up and settled herself on her sofa.

"Oh, as it always is. But you on the other hand.. How is life with the mortals?"

"Well, it got better eventually. At first I thought it was the worst! Mother drag me away from my friends. She was horrid!"

"Mine let my father eat me."

Kori was shocked silent.

"Well I guess you win. So anyway, I made new friends. There is Chloris, my best friend. She's been helping me work on my flowers."

So went the first night she was back on Olympus, spent with Hades. At some point, she had fallen asleep and Hades went to his castle outside Olympus. In the morning he visited Hestia, and the two siblings went to the palace together.

The whole place was decorated according to the fall solstice: with harvest symbols and wreaths and autumn fruits. Before dinner, Hermes hosted a competition of the games; foot racing, jumping, throwing things, and even plain old fighting.

After the sporting event was over, the gods made way to the Palace for family dinner. While waiting, Kori got the opportunity to introduce Cupid to Hades. She dragged her best friend over to the god of the Underworld, and Cupid was losing it before Hades even turned to face them. He found it hilarious.

"Hello, you must be Cupid."

"I-I–It's Eros, Your Lordship."

"'Dite's son. That must be quite a handful."

"It's fun, messing with the mortals."

"I see. And undoubtedly my realm is full of your victims, no?"

"I...I...I..."