20. A gift

Surprisingly, it worked. For the past almost two years, Demeter had no idea Kori wasn't in the virgin society. Meanwhile, Kori on the other hand was becoming the top student in Hera's Harem.

This year was her sweet sixteen, when she would finally be seen as an adult. More than her party, Kori was busy planning for something else. Lately, she hadn't seen much of him. He'd only been up for a limited time for homecoming, and he was entirely absent from the winter solstice.

Kori planned her birthday very creatively: a rose theme. To those who weren't as involved in her life, the rose would simply mean her blossom into adulthood. To those like her mother, it would mean nothing more than just a part of her springlike attribute. But to her, the rose was much more... erotic.

That required a fitting dress to boot. Since the entire event was planned specifically to catch Hades' attention, she knew just what to wear. Kori went through her closet, pulling out a dress from long ago.

As it needed a new fitting anyway, since Kori was no longer eight, she had it redefined entirely. Now the tunic went to her thighs, and fit her bosom well, dipping down to her belly button. The dressmakers put a sheer high low black skirt around her waist, holding it with a gold belt. The neckline was accessorized with gold too. The long end of the skirt was tied to a wrist loop, which would allow easier dancing.

Kori was restless on her last night as fifteen. Even mother wouldn't see her till tomorrow. She knew what she wanted as her birthday gift from Hades and she couldn't wait till tomorrow. Kori ran to the room of the eternal fire, trying her hardest not to combust as she summoned him.

She stayed out of plain sight as the portal opened and Hades stepped out. He now expected two possibilities: Zeus, or Zeus's daughter. Usually, he was met with a toy offering when it was the latter, but found none. Zeus wasn't there either.

"Too old for toys now, are we?"

Kori came around, hands behind her back.

"Well I am 116, you know."

He did.

"Happy birthday," an appropriate but distracting response. He was overly conscious of what he said.

"What can I revive for you today?"

"Me," she was quick to reply.

"You?" He echoed with a raised brow. Hades walked with a smirk on his face. "Who'd dare kill the favorite daughter?"

"My mother," Kori sighed as she leaned against a pillar.

Hades clenched his fists, trying hard.

"How could I possibly aid you in your turmoil, sapphire? I've known your mother longer than you. I'm not sure I'm the right god to call for help."

Kori grew frustrated and leaned off the wall to face him.

"You're the only one who could help me!"

"You could make me live," she added softly.

"But you're not dead," Hades stalled, knowing better than her what she wanted.

Kori sighed. "But you could make me feel alive in other ways. Better... ways."

Hades turned his back on her, letting his aura engulf him like a threatening fire.

"Your fire does not scare me. Nor can it hurt me, thanks to your gift if I recall."

Hades gave up.

"Ask not from me what I cannot give."