The Broken Flame

Trigger Warning ⚠️
Sexual assault
Note
Hi guys. Allison here, five years after this was written. Time flies. This is something that I would like to address formally, and should have a while ago.
So, those of you who read this when it first came out know that I wrote this about the age of 16. I'm now 21. First of all, I want to address Rape being used as a female plot device, which is in play here. It isn't ok. There are so many other ways to make a plot interesting that don't involve taking something like this away from a character. At the time I wrote FIHB was young and stupid and did not recognise this as a trope until I was older and better read in modern literature and well versed in feminism, and I do not like how I placed it here. But the second thing that I want to address is why it's in here to begin with, because there is a reason. Around the time that this was written, I went through some thing that I don't like going into detail with on the internet because I feel that it's inappropriate and unnecessary. I did feel violated and I felt like I could relate to the feelings surrounding more "traditional" (ugh) assault, although I was not raped. So I projected them onto a character in hopes of trying to understand exactly what I'd gone through, because it was confusing and I didn't understand whether it was actually sexual assault or not. I had no idea how popular my ramblings would become. Then, I decided not to think about it for a couple of years and the lack of attention to it is evident in my writing of the later books in the series, as well as my long-term mental health. I am sorry if it is portrayed childishly, but I am also not going to change it because there are things in my wording that I see and are still helping me work through it. Please be kind to one another. You never know what someone is going through.
-Allison
National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673

Jack stormed in the cabin. Felicity screamed in horror; that was bad. She was in danger, he'd kidnapped her. If she had screamed out because she was in pain, or was being tortured, jack knew it would be his fault. Barbossa entered the cabin, a full smirk on his face. Jack, enraged by the smug smile, stood straight, his breath coming out in puffs of anger.

"Where is she?" he asked through gritted teeth. Barbossa chuckled.

"Having fun, I'd hope. I know Quincy and Jobs are a rather good time." jack froze. Jobs and Quincy were well known for being pigs, more so than he himself was. If she was down there, he couldn't bear to think of what was happening to the poor lass.

"What's she ever done to you, barbossa? She's young!" he demanded, as his former first mate chuckled.

"Why, Jack, it almost sounds as if you've fallen in love with the lass." jack was stunned by that. He couldn't say anything.

Did he love her? He couldn't have fallen in love with her, especially in such a short time! She was dangerous, moody, merciless, a massive showoff. But yet those unbecoming qualities faltered slightly in wake of the other qualities. She was beautiful, feisty, strong, and deeper than she seemed. Her mentality was strange to jack; how could such a rich girl be so down to earth and worldly? She enraged him, challenged him, and baffled him. And in those qualities, she was amazing. But jack was drawn out of his thoughts by the fact the woman he may love in the belly of the ship, being (most likely) raped by Barbosa's bastard crew. His eye flicked upwards.

"Even if i do, we were on a parley. You had no right to harm a member of my own crew! I can't wait to maroon you." Barbossa laughed.

"So you admit that your intent is to leave me standing alone on some beach with not but a word and your name (it's the one i need) and watch you sail away on my ship?" jack chuckled.

"Nothing of the sort; i expect to leave you standing on some beach with absolutely no name at all, watch me sail away in MY ship, and then I'll shout the name back to you. Savvy?"