ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟚𝟚

✑✑✑✑✑✑✑✑✑

The short-lived coughing fit didn't help the situation.

The twins were on the roof, staring at the Capitol's deadly beauty. Only a few days ago, Finnick had shown it himself to Annie, knowing she needed somewhere to go that allowed her to feel somewhat free.

It turned out Annie loved it just as much as her twin. From that day on, she had dragged Olive with her to the roof after her twin's habitual nightmares, which she still tried to hide. They usually met Finnick when they arrived, or he took a minute to show up. It was similar to the secret hollow tree in the woods, only for a way shorter stay than any, at the moment, would like.

"How did I do?" asked Annie.

"Flawlessly," Olive replied.

Without a word, the twins got closer to one another. The desperation was like no other they had lived so far. It was more than the realisation hitting them. It was the paralysing agony to know that, even after surviving, there was no escape from the Arena or the Capitol.

"I know what you're thinking," Annie said, "and, because I know exactly what you're thinking, let me tell you. I won't give up because of that."

"Annie—"

"No," she snapped. "I . . . I might not be a hunter like you, but I can survive. I can."

"I know. I know you can."

Olive brought her twin closer, letting Annie bury her head in the collar of her jacket. The time could have frozen, allowing the two to enjoy their brief moment for eternity, but it didn't. It kept passing normally. Until the sound of the roof's door overthrew the shouts and excited yells from the Capitol's people in the streets.

"Hey," said Finnick softly.

"We won today. We got here first," Annie announced, a comforting smile playing across her face as she stepped away from her sister to welcome their friend to the conversation. "The loser must pay."

"Alright." Finnick raised his hands in the air in surrender. "So what should I do? Dye Piscia's clothes black?"

"No need." Annie shook her head dismissively. "Just take care of my family for me, OK?"

Olive rested her hands on her hips, staring at Annie with a smile. From all the things her twin could have said, her major worry had to be family. It was no wonder why. Three defenceless members of their family were back home, at a fairly long distance away from protection, and Olive knew she wasn't in a much better condition.

If Annie died, Finnick and the victors' support would be the only ones to help them manage.

"I'll promise that," Finnick said, his Capitol smile washing off immediately as he took a step closer to the sisters. "If you promise to try your hardest to survive."

"We both know you would keep that promise even if I hadn't asked you, Finnick," Annie replied. "But, I'll try. I . . . I'm no fighter—" she pointed at Finnick, then turned to Olive, gesturing at her sister while talking. "or hunter, but I know how to keep myself alive. And that's all the Games are about, right? Keep oneself alive."

No reply was uttered, only slight nods from both victors. As much as they knew Annie's words weren't entirely right, there was no courage left in their minds or bodies to point out reality. Not when the tributes' departure to the Arena was hours away.

Despite the circumstances, chatter never died between the trio. They ate supper together in Annie's room, evading everyone and everything for hours. Anything that mattered was near their reach, so they found no reason to establish any conversation with anyone except Mags or Muscida, who kept checking on them every hour, like clockwork.