ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟝𝟝

✑✑✑✑✑✑✑✑✑

Time for goodbyes presented itself in a peculiar manner. Squad 451, also known as 'Star Squad', stood at the entrance of the Hovercraft, bidding farewell to their loved ones, their embraces filled with a sense of despair. Death was present in all attendees' minds, no matter from which side. It was about as likely that the entire squad would come back, alive and victorious, as it was that every single one of them would die amidst enemy and friendly fire.

Navin had only wrapped her arms around Theo when she spotted Katniss hugging Prim no further than a couple of steps to her right. The girl who would go to any lengths to protect her little sister, the Mockingjay, the face and voice of the rebellion, had drained all pity that Navin could feel for her hardly a few days ago. She'd bet her life that Katniss had been faithful to her word. Prim wouldn't know a thing of the kind of place her older sister was willingly venturing to, and neither would their mother. Worst of all, everyone else had followed her steps. Navin had hoped someone would tell her. If not Theo, perhaps Gianna, Finnick, or Johanna. Not a word, for almost a week.

Before slipping away from her arms, Theo mumbled something that made Navin look at him, utterly confused. "Did you have any odd nightmares lately? Like... No, never mind."

He went away to hug Annie, who fought against the overflowing tears in her eyes, leaving Navin to shrug it off and approach Katniss. "Mockingjay, care to say goodbye to us, too?"

With a moment's hesitation, Katniss hugged her but was taken aback when Navin unexpectedly whispered in her ear. "The Arena's Capitol-made and you're still tributes. You're just following another Gamemaker's orders. Prim's been accepted into the Medic team that will despatch to the Capitol soon. She's not Fourteen yet. Care to guess who gave the permission?" At her astonished silence, Navin let out a breathy chuckle and continued. "Keep them safe, and I'll keep her safe... Be careful yourself, Katniss. Everyone's after you."

"As long as you aren't after me too," replied Katniss, her hands clenching onto her friend's grey suit. "I'll keep them safe."

"It's not on my plans to go after a friend with such intentions." Navin let go of her, showing Katniss a gentle smile as she stepped back. "I won't get in your way, no matter what you're truly planning to do, but be careful."

"I'll try." Katniss nodded and left to answer Annie's call.

When Gianna threw her arms around Navin, she held on tight, whispering a string of promises that they both knew were impossible to keep. The eerie silence shattered at the echo of a distant siren, prompting the sisters to part ways. Finnick could not get a word in when Navin threw herself into his arms, placing a soft kiss on his lips, which he took not long to reciprocate.

Still gripping onto her husband's soldier suit, yet with her face pulled centimetres away from his face, she whispered, "I'll remember you. When you get back... I..."

"You'll be safe." He cupped her face in his hands, ignoring whatever the District Thirteen people were complaining about back at the Hovercraft. "You'll be here, in Thirteen, where it's safe. So, when I come back, we'll go home, and get to know one another in the peace and tranquillity of this new world ahead of us. No deals to worry about, no poison to make you forget ever again."

"Will we be happy?" Navin asked with a faint chuckle.

Finnick smiled and kissed her once more. "I guarantee we will."

Without as much as a care for rules, the couple, or being considered rude, Johanna pulled Finnick aside to bring Navin into a bone-crushing hug. At the call of their colonel, Finnick and Johanna had to reluctantly stand back and join the rest at the top of the platform, where Katniss and Theo were already standing while chatting amongst themselves.