chapter 4: heartbreak

October 31, 1981

October 31, 1981. 11:50 PM.

The movie had finished, and the Potters had sent their friends home, wishing them well and safe travels on their journeys back home. The two now sat cuddled upon the couch, James's fingers playing with Lily's bright ginger hair as she lay her head in his lap, her eyes tracing his features as her nimble digits played with the stubble on his chin.

"I'm telling you James, Padfoot and Moony are going to be a thing one day! It's only a matter of time!"

"There's no way! If Pads had the hots for Moony, I would know!" It's not like James wouldn't approve of the relationship, his mates could get it on, and he would be cheering from the sidelines, of course! But no, he would have been able to tell! As a self-proclaimed love expert (though literally anyone else would disagree), James knew best. He just knew. "I bet you 5 galleons they never get together!"

"Deal. Get ready to lose Potter," Lily said, playfully smirking.

"Mhm, sure whatever you want to believe darling, '' James replied with a grin, leaning down to kiss Lily when they heard a loud bang from outside their home. A moment passed as they held their breath, eyes stuck on the front door. With the sound of light crunching of snow beneath feet, their eyes turned back to one another, fear evident in both their reflections.

Rushing to their feet, they placed themselves in front of the door, dread and anticipation wracking their bodies. Lily quickly muttered an incantation and a silver doe appeared prancing out of her wand, the Patronus running to go warn their friends of the danger. As the desperate couple looked to each other for some sort of comfort or reassurance, their front door was blown off its hinges, the dust settling as they squinted through the mess. James angled himself slightly, taking a protective step forward as to shield Lily behind him. Slowly, a man, no... a monster, sauntered through their door, wand raised with a vile smirk painting his face.

"At long last," the monotone voice of Lord Voldemort spoke, sending shivers down the lovers' spines. "I have found the Potters! I must admit, you hid well; yet I have grown tired of these pursuits. Hand over your son to me, now, and I will grant you both your lives." The bald man stood powerfully in front of James and Lily, his voice wavering not once. He could practically taste the victory on his tongue.

"Never." They replied in unison, their hands intertwined and their voices strong in the face of danger.

Bloody Gryffindors.

As the Dark Lord stood in front of them, his piercing red eyes gazing over the two, he let out a knowing chuckle. "You dare go against me? How do you think either of you can protect let alone one child, when you can barely protect two?"

The Potters quickly glanced at each other in confusion before turning their heads back to the monster posed in front of them, unaware of the cowardly man hiding in the shadows behind his master.