chapter 9: tradition

After bidding goodbye to Harry and Hermione, MJ made her way to the table filled with yellow and black robes, sitting down in her usual spot next to Kevin. With a quick head scan of the young first years at the end of the table, MJ turned back to the brunette boy, whispering in his ear to get his attention.

"Alright mate, how'd we do?"

"Quite well, actually! We were right about the Gryffindors, and we were closest to the right number of Hufflepuffs as well. But Macmillan took the lead on Slytherins and Abbott guessed the correct number of Ravenclaws." It was a running tradition for some of the Hufflepuffs to place bets on the incoming first years, predicting how many students would be accepted into each house. Taking out the coins in his pocket, Kevin handed MJ her share of the prize money for their wins with a mischievous smile. "Zacharias Smith didn't have any Sickles on him, so he promised us a bottle of Fire whiskey when we go to Hogsmeade!"

Laughing, MJ pushed his arm, happy with their winnings and pocketing the sickles for later in her cloak. The commotion died down as their great Headmaster took his place at the podium, twinkling eyes roaming over the sitting children.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..."

Clearing his throat, a curious silence hung in the air as he continued. "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business. They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds, and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises- or even Invisibility cloaks."

Invisibility cloaks? As he spoke, MJ felt dread fill her empty stomach. How the hell was she supposed to have a normal year with those things around? If she passed out on the train, it would surely happen again with them all around the castle grounds.

"It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the Prefects," she glanced at Cedric who was listening intently, "and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs foul of the Dementors." Kevin, Amara, and MJ looked at each other briefly, sharing a weary glance. It was dead silent in the Great Hall as the professors stared over their students from the staff table in front, serious expressions on each of their faces.

"On a happier note," Dumbledore continued in an effort to lighten the mood, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. Firstly, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." There was a scattered applause as Lupin looked over to the Gryffindor table where Harry and his friends were clapping the loudest, giving them a quick wink before returning his eyes to the Headmaster.