chapter 8: chats with minnie

A dark and cold night

A blurry figure peering down at her face.

Green light everywhere.

She was freezing. Why was it so cold?

The pained scream ringing in her eardrums, feeling like they were dripping with blood.

She couldn't breathe.

Why couldn't she breathe?

It was still cold; her fingers were numb.

Why was nobody helping?

She was suffocating.

Drowning...

Drowning...

Drowni-

Remus Lupin was tired- scratch that - he was exhausted. The full moon last week had been brutal, to say the least. With the stress of Peter escaping, he was completely filled with worry for Harry. Not to mention the fear of starting a new job. He had always wanted to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts, but he was always fearful of his condition compromising himself or putting his students in danger. What if they found out and thought he was a monster? What if Peter attacked and he was too weak to fight back?

He shook the dark thoughts out of his head, walking down the narrow train hallway to talk to the conductor. Since Peter escaped Azkaban, Dementors were constantly on the prowl, searching for the slippery little rat to give him a deadly kiss on sight. They had boarded the train and attacked Harry as Lupin was sleeping, until he woke up and sent the creatures on their way with his Patronus.

Compartment by compartment, he did quick scans through the windows to ensure all the students were alright as he urged words of comfort.

"Don't worry, it is being taken care of."

"But what were those-"

"Just stay in your compartments until we reach Hogwarts."

"Should we be worried?"

"Everything is alright, you will be updated at din-"

"Sir! One of the dementors came into our cabin and my friend fainted!" A blonde boy in a Hufflepuff robe ran up to the tired werewolf, a prefect pin neatly laying on top of the yellow and black fabric.

"Show me," Remus urged, quickly following the boy into a nearby compartment. Walking into the small space he quickly assessed the situation. A young blonde girl sat on the floor of the compartment, her friend's head in her lap as she combed through her hair with nimble fingers. Her eyes were glassy as she stared down at the girl, worry pulsating off of her in waves. Standing next to the duo was a tan brunette boy, looking to be the same age of the girls. Something was different about him though, Remus subtly inhaled as he locked eyes with the young boy-