Home

" He lets me win when he thinks I am not paying attention. It's insulting." Chongan complained to his wife.
" Are you certain you're not simply winning because of your skill at chess? You have played far longer than he has."
Pei Shan kept a smooth face. Careful not to smile visibly.

Chongan glanced at her over the top of his bifocals.

" I am not a doddering old man."

" You are far from ' doddering', husband."

" He is too smart."

"He is intelligent. Such a sweet boy. So polite."

Chongan shook his head. His wife was also too smart.

"Polite yes...He did our taxes in just a few hours , did I tell you that? I checked them. My accountant was sick with flu, and when he looked at the work, he said he saved us over ten thousand dollars. Ten thousand! What daughter in law could walk in to the house and do that?"

This was the second time this week that her husband had shared this electrifying news.  He was obviously delighted by it.

" You have mentioned it , yes. Not many, I'm sure. He is a lovely grandson in law."

"I want him to look at the records. He left several interesting notes regarding shipping and supplemental seasonal stocks. Such a mind for numbers! I should move the Seattle office here, so he could look at them regularly."

Pei Shan paused cutting the flowers she had brought in from the garden.
She stared at her husband.

" You are newly retired! Perfection hasn't once mentioned what he plans to do yet . They have just been married...Oh no...I know that look, ' she began putting cut lilies in a large , pale blue vase, as she tsked' giving him a sidelong glance.' What are you planning? Before you make any business offers to your grandson's only, you had better check with Hero."

Chongan looked unruffled. He continued to read his paper.

"It would take very little of his time. He isn't working right now...Why not? Hero will be busy with the restaurant. We could fly there early in the morning and be back before Hero arrives home from work."

" You have been talking with Shin. I know it. Next you'll be wanting to take Perfection to the racetrack. Just speak to Hero."
Chongan appeared to not have heard her. He sipped his coffee and turned a page.

Pei Shan sighed loudly and went back to her flowers. She had seen the small smile on her husbands face.
If Shin weren't already so close to the veil , she would get after him. The crafty old rascal.

The two of them together - just a recipe for trouble. Old men - one with too much time. The other, counting his days...They were worse than cats left alone in a room full of tea cups.

" What if Shin's time happens while you drag him to Seattle? What then?'"

" I promised Chongan  - I won't die until after they return. Please encourage my nephews to go to Seattle , sissy."
Shin had just entered the room , his wheelchair pushed by Perfect.

" Hello Grandmother." Perfect was smiling, shaking his head at Shin's words.

" Who is going to Seattle?" Hero was  home early from the restaurant. He dropped a quick kiss on Perfect's head then headed to the kitchen to unload the large parcel of food he had brought home for dinner.

Perfect followed him.
" Husband ... Uncle has asked me to accompany your grandfather to Seattle, to look at the family business, and to see some property. I wouldn't mind going, but'... He sighed and kissed Hero's shoulder lightly, stroking his back. ' I just don't want to go anywhere without you . Not yet. Could you arrange to come along?' His voice was quiet.
' If not, I hope they understand. I don't want to seem childish, and I know we're both adults...but...I ...I just don't want a border between us...it's too soon."