Chapter 42: Revenge, but with more cheese

Croatia, don't start getting any ideas

———

-*America's POV*-

"Oh."

The look on Serbia's face was so terribly hurt that it made America feel a sharp pang of sadness. According to what Russia had said, Serbia had been willing to do whatever he wanted in a heartbeat, whether that be sucking him off, getting him a bottle of water, or anything in between.

Now, he had just discovered that all this effort was for someone who didn't even give him a second though.

"I- It's fine." Serbia lied, "I knew that. Besides, I've gotten over you."

In a way, he was sort of telling the truth. He had begun to slowly fall for someone else, though he wasn't quite fully over Russia yet.

Russia managed a small smile. "I'm sorry it couldn't have turned out differently. I do care for you, considering our past history, but just not in that way." He explained, causing Serbia to look down disappointedly.

"Yeah. I'm always just the second choice." He muttered to himself, not meaning for Russia or America to hear him.

Unfortunately, they both did. "I'm sure you'll find someone." America said sympathetically, "Who knows, they may be closer than you think."

Suddenly, a look of realization dawned on Serbia's face. "Yeah. You're right... They may be." He chuckled softly, then walked out of the room with a polite nod toward the two.

Once Serbia had closed the door behind him, America let out a sigh of relief. "That could've gone so much worse." He admitted, causing Russia to nod in agreement.

The room was filled with an awkward silence, which was broken by Russia a few seconds later.

"By the way... that was a very interesting song. What inspired you to insult the entirety of Europe through song?" Russia inquired amusedly.

To be honest, America still wasn't quite sure himself. "I dunno. Netherlands was being a bitch and blocking my view of you." He shrugged, causing Russia to chuckle softly.

"You know... You may not have been so wrong about the last part." Russia admitted hesitantly, causing America to punch the air triumphantly. Although Russia had yet to explicitly state that he was gay, America still saw this as a win.

Despite the fact that America was only jokingly pretending to be overjoyed at this, there was a small part of him that actually did feel relieved.

Nevertheless, Russia smiled at his reaction. "Wow, I didn't know you were that into me." he joked, causing America to quickly nod in agreement.

Then, Russia's expression turned somber. "You know, UK is out there. We'll have to confront him eventually." He sighed, upset that he needed to interrupt the moment.