Chapter 51: An unusual solution

Being Eastern/central European is a perfectly viable excuse to eat Uranium

Average Croatian 💪🇭🇷

———

-*America's POV*-

As soon as Russia left the meeting, America almost felt as if a part of him had left alongside him.

He had been so painfully close to admitting his feelings, though he had chickened out at the last moment.

If only America realized that Russia reciprocated his feelings sooner.

Even if they couldn't actually do anything about it, America still felt that he needed to get it off his chest. It had been bottled up for such a long time that it was almost beginning to hurt.

But alas, it was too late now. Russia and America had gone their separate ways to attend to their own responsibilities. After all, America knew that he couldn't just abandon his states, as tempting as they made it sometimes.

The rest of the conversation between America and his family was noticeably off to all of them. Normally, America would be laughing loudly, his voice filled with enthusiasm and delight as he exchanged stories about what he'd been up to recently.

Now, he hardly spoke. When he did, his voice was low and had a hint of sadness to it, as if someone he loved had just died.

Much to America's surprise, UK suddenly put a comforting hand on his shoulder. America looked up at him questioningly and tilted his head in confusion.

Although UK initially looked awkward, as he continued speaking it eventually turned to confidence.

"I-I know it'd be a huge understatement to say that I've been an uncaring, negligent father." He admitted, "But I'm trying to get better. Until I saw how happy you and Russia looked together at the karaoke meetup, I didn't believe that it was right to be friends with any of USSR's bloodline. I had become so caught up with protecting the family image that I lost sight of what my job as a father was—to protect my sons and make sure they're happy. I don't expect you to be able to forgive me, but I need you to know that I'm sorry."