Beneath the Willow Tree

I groaned, rolling over on my side and hitting something hard with my hand. I tried to open my eyes, but they quickly fell shut as I was trying to manage the unbearable pounding in my head. After many attempts, I was finally able to open my eyes and I blinked away the sleep.

"Good morning, beautiful," a voice said and I snapped my head to the left in surprise. Conner leaned over and kissed my forehead as I stared at him, confused out of my mind.

"Why did you just kiss my forehead? And beautiful? No loser? Dork? Dumbo? Wow, what has gotten into you, Conner?"

His eyes glazed over in concentration and I knew he was thinking hard about something as his eyebrows furrowed together. If I wasn't so confused and in so much pain, I would've laughed at his expression.

"Do you remember what happened last night, Dylan?" He said these words so quietly I almost couldn't make them out. Conner looked pained at something and I hoped it wasn't something I did.

"Yeah. Let's see...we went to Brett's party... Brett gave me a nickname that had to do with a dinosaur or something weird like that...we played spin-the-bottle...Oh my gosh!" I suddenly remembered what I was talking about and I turned to grin at Conner, a devious smirk on my face.

"You do remember?"

"How could I forget! You kissed a guy!" I started cracking up, clutching my stomach through my laughter. I regretted it after I finished because it hurt my head even more. Turning back to look at Conner, I realized he still seemed upset.

"Well, it's great that you remember that, but do you remember what happened after that?" He didn't look amused at all. He looked annoyed and angry. I guess we hadn't resolved the awkwardness from earlier. I really hoped everything could go back to normal soon.

"I kissed Brett...then I went looking for you...and oh crap, that's all I got. I drank a lot!"

After I finished this thought, an uncomfortable silence filled the room as Conner didn't respond to me. Finally, he sucked in a deep breath, rolled off of the bed, and threw on a shirt, since he always slept without one. I watched the muscles in his biceps and abs flex as he dressed and quickly looked away. Wouldn't that be so embarrassing if he caught me checking him out? I mean, I knew I was for ever friend-zoned, but...well damn he's toned.

"Can you leave?" After he had put on his shirt, he turned to me and asked me randomly. I frowned at him before deciding I didn't want to upset him more than I already had, whatever it was I did.

"Can I say hi to-"

"No, leave. Please. You can wash the clothes and give them back, or just keep them, I don't care. I just need some time to think," he said, running a hand through his hair. I nodded and turned to grab my dress from last night. I was wearing a pair of Conner's old boxer shorts and an old hoodie of his. I picked up my heels in one hand, my dress in the other, and clutching my phone between my fingers, walked down the stairs.

Conner didn't even follow me to say goodbye.

Fine, he wanted to be like that? Two could play at this game.

------------------------------------

The weekend passed by slowly without Conner. Nothing much happened at all except I began texting the new guy from school. He was really nice and I had actually made a new friend! He wanted to go the movies with me Friday night!

It was Monday morning and I walked into school with my coffee in a to-go cup, clutching it like it was my lifeline, because, well, it was. I was exhausted from staying up late to work on a project and I never was a morning person, or a Monday person. I didn't think anybody was a Monday person.