Chapter 4

Run Mia. Run as fast as you can. Go. Run. Someone's life is on the line. Run.

I'm out of breath when I reach the storage room. I search for the pulling of the fire alarm.

Archer did some quick thinking. I don't know if I would ever think of this.

My breath is back to normal when I find it. I don't hesitate, and I pull down the lever.

I run back outside back to the Assembly Building. I see everyone heading to our spot we're supposed to go for fires. I see Archer tied to a post. Of course, Evelyn would leave him there to burn. I run up to him and start untying his hands. He smiles at me, but he's badly beaten up. I can see it in his eyes, his no longer bright blue eyes...

"We gotta get out of here," I say, hauling both the bags on my back. I do a slow jog for Archer, but he passes me. I run at his pace, which is fast for a almost unconscious person.

We are just about to reach the door, until someone stands in our way. Archer and I both haunt to a quick stop.

"Tami!" I say harshly. She's blocking the door.

"So, you weren't kidding, huh? Your going to leave me for him?" She gestures towards Archer, who stands there, looking rather annoyed.

"Tami, we have to go. They are gonna find us!" I say, and I push her out of the way. She comes right back though, facing us.

"I thought we were friends!" Tami shout, her eyes watering. I stand there, staring at her until the fire alarm goes off.

"We have to go!" I say, and this time Archer and I both get through Tami. We stand outside the dome, looking at her.

"Their coming," Archer says.

"Mia.." Tami whispers, a tear rolling down her cheek. I stand there frozen, I don't know what to do. My best friend is begging me to stay.

But Archer isn't patient anymore.

He takes a quick step towards Tami and pulls her out of the dome. She yells as Archer closes the door. "Run!" He shouts, and he starts to sprint. Tami's eyes are wide, filled with shock. I grab her arm and run behind Archer.

None of us say a word, only our heavy breathing fills the air. Archer is fast, but slows down so Tami and I can catch up. Tami's eyes are blank. That means she's angry. And you don't want Tami getting mad.

After we've been running for who knows how long, Archer slows down to a stop.

"We can take a break here. I think we are far enough," he says. Before he has has to react, Tami runs and pushes him to the ground. His body skims the ground and flies back a few feet. He shuts his eyes tight for a moment.

"I hate you!" She yells, and I grab her arms from doing anything else. Archer stands back up quickly, with no emotions on his face.

"I cant go back," she says quietly. "And it's all because of you!" She gets out of my grasp and runs toward Archer again. He holds out his hands when Tami comes at him. He holds his hands on both of her shoulders while she tries to move forward at him.

"Yeah, it's all my fault," Archer says. He puts his hands back at his sides, and Tami stares at him blankly. "Go ahead, beat me up. I'm just a stupid male, right?"

Tami doesn't say a word. She's confused, and so am I.

"Right?!" He asks, more sternly this time. Tami opens her mouth, but no words come out. She's probably dazing at those blue eyes, like I am.

"No, your not stupid," Tami says, taking a step back.

Archer slightly smiles. "I think you belong to the Alliance too."

"What the hell is the Alliance?" Tami asks. I look at Archer, I've been wondering too.

"It's where you were born."

"Who? Me?" Tami asks, grabbing her ponytail from her wrist and putting her long black hair in a pony.

"Yeah you, and Mia. Even me," he says. "Hell, all of us were born there."

"Then why are we going there?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"Cause the Alliance is where males and females are. Where we all live together. We form an alliance and try to stop the stupid government to continue making us live separated in domes," Archer says.

"Males and females are...together?" I ask. Archer nods.

"So, that's where you were headed until our dome caught you?" Tami asks. Archer nods again.

"I know I belong there. The stupid government has no right to put us in domes. They think it creates peace, to keep us trapped. Well, the people of the Alliance have been trying to figure out a way to overthrow the government. With the Alliance going on for years, they must be ready to strike soon. And I want to be a part of it." Archer says, his eyes determined and his fists clenched.

"Are we almost there?" I ask.

"We are about fifteen miles. By tomorrow evening we should be there. But we have to get going now," he says, but I'm too focused on the huge gash on his cheek.

"It's starting to bleed again," I say, and Archer touches his face.

"Don't touch it, hold on," I say, digging through my bag. I first pull out a shirt for him. "Is your back bleeding at all?"

"Nah." He says, trying to look at his back. "Just some scares to remember the good ole times Evelyn and I had."

"What?" Tami says, confused.

I ignore the situation and hand him a shirt. As he puts it on I get a hand towel. I almost gag when I look at his gash again.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"Nothing. It's just...I've never seen that much blood before."

"It's not a lot, really," he says, putting the towel to his cheek. "Lets go."

All three of us start to walk, with Archer just a foot in front from Tami and I. I know that Archer had to bring her along, but I still feel bad for her. A part of me is glad she's with us, though.

We walk for maybe two hours, and the sun is beginning to set.

"Okay, we can.." Archer freezes in his steps. I follow to where his head faces, and I see a figure in front of us, pretty close.

"Look." Tami whispers, her head faced the opposite direction. I spot another figure. Then another one to our right.

They all start to walk fast, getting closer and closer so I can see them clearly. Two males and a female.

Archer turns his head back at us swiftly. He whispers. "Run." And I see him bolt. Tami and I follow.

And so do the other three people.

HELLO!! So, THOUGHTS SO FAR? LIKING IT? HATING IT? Let me know!!!! Thank you all❤️

-Grace