Chapter 24

Maya smiled as she looked at everything. She was 27 weeks pregnant and it was Thanksgiving. Everyone had gathered at the Matthew apartment while it was clear that there was some tension. Maya could see that Cory had missed Shawn during the holiday season but she knew that he was keeping a front. And she hated that he did that. She exhaled while looking at Josh who just smiled at her.

"So, Dad, how's the business actually doing? You're quiet about it," Josh said.

"Of course I am, Son. You kids don't have to worry about things like that," Alan said.

"We're not kids anymore. None of us are. Josh is 21. Are there any troubles with the business, Dad?" Cory asked.

"None at all. But I did get a phone call from Jack Hunter last week," Alan said as Maya bit her lip knowing trouble was coming.

"Maya, when was the last time you contacted him? He seems very out of the loop with your life," Alan said as Josh scoffed.

"Maya has no obligation to contact or tell Jack Hunter anything. Why do you think she has?" Josh asked as Maya lightly touched his arm.

"Boing, calm down. I haven't had contact with him lately. He isn't my family anymore, Mr. Matthews," Maya said.

"Will you do that with us also one day? Because technically we aren't your family either. You've got a ring, yes, but you guys aren't married. And Lily might be our grandchild, but..."

"You're going too far now, Dad. Stop it. Maya went through hell and for her to not want any contact with Jack isn't unusual. And with your assumption. With or without being married to Josh, Maya is our family. I accepted her as my daughter long ago. So if you can't accept her into the family, then we've got a problem," Cory said.

"How can you see her as your daughter without her being a Matthews?" Alan asked.

"Because she is family," Cory said.

"I see Maya as my sister, Grandpa. And I always will see her like that. And once she becomes my aunt, our relwont change," Riley said.