1 ~ Why me?

Long red banners hung on the walls. Gold decorations adorned the halls. A grand chandelier hung from the ceiling in the middle of the great hall. A king sat on his throne. He didn't like the government, he wasn't actually a king. He was a soldier. The greatest in the world. He was rumoured to be terrifying and that just seconds of his gaze would make you tremble in fear.

I stood around the festival of L'Manburg. I wasn't a part of any kingdom. I was like the soldier if you needed a comparison. I didn't like the idea of following someone's orders. I watched as the soldier walked along the path I stood next to. He had people following him. His long braided pink hair cascaded over his shoulder and his royal cape. That confused me, he hates government and he's not a king, why would he wear a king's cape? He had a crown too, confusing. He had a white button-up ascot shirt and high-waisted black pants. The cuffs of the shirt were ruffled and he had a gem on his ascot. He wasn't wearing the mask that I had heard about. He usually wore a half-mask that was a pig-skull.

Just as he was about to pass me up, he stopped in front of me and turned to look at me with menacing eyes. I thought of the legend, anyone who looked into his eyes for just seconds would tremble in fear. I couldn't help it as my breathing hitched and my hands shook.

The corner of his mouth quirked and he raised his chin slightly, looking down at me. He was tall.

"Your name?" He spoke. His two fangs poked just barely so that I could see them when he spoke.

"Verena." I stuttered, looking down at the ground instead of his eyes. His eyes were a beautiful red with black sclera, giving his eyes a mystical appearance.

"Do you have a nickname?" He asked, holding a hand out for mine.

I held my hands close to my chest and nodded, "Everyone calls me Rena."

"How about Vera? Can I call you Vera?"

I kept looking at the ground and didn't answer. He reached his hand slightly closer to me, "You're beautiful, you know? My name is Alex, everyone calls me Technoblade or Techno."

I held my hands together, "What do you want? I'll give you money."

He chuckled and his hand fell to his side. He waved away the people who followed him with his other hand. "I don't want your money."

I mustered up the courage to look back up at him and immediately averted my eyes.

"Am I that appalling to look at? No one seems to look at me for more than five seconds."

"Not appalling, intimidating."

He raised my chin with his fingertips and brought my eyes to his. "I don't intimidate you? Right?"

I nodded slightly, "You do."

He chuckled, the corners of his lips quirking up. "I guess I'll have to fix that. Walk with me?" He held his hand out again.

"Why me? I'm just trying to-"

"The festival is about to turn to war. I don't want to see a beautiful lady like you fighting or in pain. If you come with me then I can get you out of here."

I hesitated and placed my fingertips on his. He pulled his fingers into a fist, pulling my hand into his. He smiled at me and dropped his hand from my chin. "Let's go, shall we?"

I slightly nodded and he started walking. My feet moved with his for an unknown reason. Maybe the sword on his waist. Maybe his gaze. Maybe the people who followed us with their swords around their waists. I don't know.

He continued to walk when an explosion went off behind us.

He turned me to face him, "Run. Clark will take you to safety. I must go. I'll see you again in my castle."