8 ~ Promise?

I usually woke up with Vera in my arms most mornings but this morning was different. She was in my arms like usual but there was just a different feeling this time.

I felt her move slightly and her fingers moved in my hair before her eyes fluttered open. I could feel her eyelashes on my temple from where my head rested on her shoulder. I shut my eyes as she lightly pulled away, wanting to see what she would do if I was still asleep. She ran a hand through my hair and gently pecked my forehead with her lips. She snuggled back into me, holding me close.

I pulled her closer by her waist and pulled my head away, "You're fucking adorable."

She pushed away, "You were faking?"

I kissed her cheek, "I wanted to see what you would do. I always wake up first so I usually just hold you until you wake up, nice to know you would do the same."

She pecked my lips and sat up, looking down at me. Her nightgown was a bit big on her so I could see the peak of her cleavage. I heard the door opening and pulled Vera down onto me. It was Amber with the breakfast trays. Vera and I hadn't eaten with the rest of the castle in a while.

"You can take that back, Amber. We'll be down in a few, thank you."

Amber nodded and turned around. Vera sat up, "What was that for?"

"Wanting to eat with everyone else or pulling you on top of me?"

"Obviously the second one."

"Your gown is a bit big and droops a little low. How was I supposed to be sure that was Amber and not Clark or Ralph? They don't get to see you like that."

She pushed off of me and stood from the bed, "To be fair, I sleep in the same bed as you, not anyone else."

"God help me if you slept in a bed with someone else I would kill them."

She rolled her eyes and slipped the nightgown off of her body, not caring to go to the other side of the screen and cover herself. She had her undergarments on but they were quite small, not covering much of her. She turned around to look at me with two dresses in hand. One of them was a golden yellow and the other a scarlet red. "Which one?"

"I vote you keep what you're wearing and lay back down."

"Too late, you told Amber we were going down for breakfast. Which dress?"

"Yellow."

She hung the red one back up in the wardrobe and pulled the yellow on. She turned back to look at me, "Care to tie it? For me?"

I stood up and walked around the bed to her side. I grabbed the two strings and gently pulled on them, about to tie them.

"I'm not going to break. Tighter."

I pulled it a bit tighter.

She reached back and held my hands with hers and pulled, tightening in much further. "Like I said, not gonna break."

"But can you breathe?"

"Yes."

I loosened it a bit and tied it, "Too bad, it looked painful."

She laughed under her breath, music to my ears. She slipped on some shoes and made me go get dressed. I changed quickly while she brushed through her hair. We left the room and I took her hand in mine as we walked down the stairs to the dining hall.

We entered the dining hall to a round of applause and cheers from the knights. We hadn't been down here for a while so it wasn't completely unexpected. We walked to the head of the centre table where we always sat and Amber placed the tray of food in front of us. Vera sat quite close to me and didn't let go of my hand the entire time she ate.