{ 3 } College

{ Saabira }

My alarm clock wakes me up, 6:30 am, the time reads. I need to get to my culture class by eight o'clock. I grab my towel from the carpet and head to the bathroom in Ifrah's room. Once I finish showering, I blow dry my hair and straighten it before pushing it back into a messy bun. I apply mascara and lipstick and then I put on a short abaya with a light pink hijab.

"Barakallahu feeki," Ifrah's voice startles me.

"Thanks," I say, looking at her.

"Yasin's already awake," Ifrah yawns. "He said he'll drive you."

I shake my head. "It's okay. I have a car."

"He seems determined."

"Doesn't he always?" I joked, and we both end up laughing.

The laughter dies down and Ifrah looks at me carefully. "Why'd you leave last night?"

I look at her confused. "Hmm?"

"You left, didn't you?" Ifrah asks again, I shake my head no. I don't want to explain to her why I left the house, so lying is the only other option.

"Oh, okay. I was probably seeing things," She says.

"Guess so." I lie.

I head downstairs, spotting Ahmed and Yasin eating cereal. I notice the two having a serious conversation, so I decide not to interrupt them. I head to the kitchen and pull out a cereal box.

College. I'm going to college. This is insane. It feels like it was just yesterday that I had my graduation ceremony, and here I am already, going to college, driving a red Jeep. I feel so nervous. I hope I don't get lost and that the classes aren't as bad as I've heard. I've heard lots of things about college. And how it causes so much stress for you due to the amount of homework, exams...

I decide to interrupt Yasin's long conversation between him and Ahmed. "Yasin, I'm taking my car. You don't have to drive me."

Yasin glares at me but quickly gives me a kind smile after nodding in understanding.

They're probably having a serious talk with one another. As much as I want to eavesdrop on their conversation, I am too nervous about my first day in college to even bother. My stomach is doing somersaults.

I look at the time. The clock says 7:30 am. I quickly remind Yasin that we need to leave now. We both have the same culture class together. I take my car keys and head out the front door.

I turn to the house next to ours, but the fence was blocking it so I could only see the top of the building.

That guy was so rude. Either he was incredibly drunk or he is just an ass. I should have smacked him. Why didn't I smack him on the spot? Instead, I was acting like an adult, which I am, and spoke calmly to him. His ignorance will forever amaze me.

I unlock the car and start it, putting my seatbelt on. I then drive off after doing all my safety checks.

After twenty minutes of driving, the car clock told me it was seven-forty. I should've just let Yasin drive us, the parking lot is packed! I can't find anywhere to park, and I didn't really want to spend hours searching for my car once class was over. I notice a truck pulling out of a parking spot. I quickly park my car there, thankful to whoever the driver was.

I sling my backpack over my shoulder and follow the small crowd of people heading toward the front door. The building has WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY in capital letters on the front.