{ 22 } Lost Family

{ Saabira }

I lock my gaze on my brother, the one who was supposedly in London with his family. His gaze is in my direction, not looking away. Not looking away from his sister. The one that was here all this time, living with relatives, here. I wasn't with my family. Her brother was pretty much dead to her. He was never here for here. No one was; she was all alone, but deep down inside she knows she loves her brother anyway. No matter what, family is family and nothing can tear it apart.  

"Saabira, do you want to know what really happened, how we lost our family?" Khalid says, his voice gentle and smooth.

I want to say that I was the only one whose family was lost, that he already had found a new family, a new home. That would be too harsh. I couldn't say that to someone, let alone to my own brother. I can tell that he misses them too. He probably misses them more than me, because he had more memories of them. I had barely any.

I nod. I want to know what happened. Why can't I remember my parents, or my life before the crash?

"I know it's hard for you to remember -we all know- but just close your eyes and try. I know you can," his eyes were teary, but he was trying hard to hold it back, afraid that he would break down.

I'm eager to know now how his life was without his real family. Believe me, mine's filled nothing but pain.

I closed my eyes, just like he told me to.

"Do you remember what happened on your 9th birthday? Don't you remember the car ride?"

I shake my head.

"We got into a car accident, remember? We went over the bridge and into the water and we both made it. But m-" he paused to take a deep breath. "Mom a-a-an-d dad didn't..." he stopped. I opened my eyes to see my brother wiping tears off of his cheeks.

"Saabira y-you lost half of your memory. You won't be able to remember, I know," he said.

I knew there was something that I was missing.

"They separated us. Uncle Yussuf said -no, promised- that he would look after you. As you might have found out, he is not a man of his word; he is nothing but a liar!" He shouted, turning to Uncle.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Uncle Yussuf argues. He crosses his arms across his chest, heavily breathing in and out of his nose.

None of us does anything. We just stand and watch.

"You told her that I killed our parents, that it was my stupid fault our parents died. You took away my own sister, lied to her and manipulated her, made her believe-" his voice breaks, and my brother goes silent, anger plastered across his red face.

Uncle Yussif lowers his gaze and just stares at the floor. It wasn't until my brother prompted him with an angry "huh?" that he decided to respond.

"I did look after her. As you can see, she is alive, well, and healthy. I don't know what else you wanted me to do," he said quietly.

"You missed one vital thing. She needs to know the truth. How could you just feed her a pack of lies, just to suit your own needs? I don't understand what you have to gain from this -except the marriage of your son and my sister. And she still doesn't accept him," my brother answers coldly.

Uncle Yussuf glares at him. "I was doing this to protect her," he shouts before storming out of the tension-filled room.

I look over at Yasin, who rubs his head tiredly. My brother stares blankly at the clock that sits on the shelf next to him.

I lost my memory. I thought my brother killed our parents and went to jail for that. He was the only family I had.

I wipe the tear that runs down my cheek. I think it's safe for me to go back to my apartment, although, I still don't know how Khalid got in.

I take my small bag from the door. I can't stay here anyway.

"Where are you going?" Khalid asks.

I look at him, confused. If he thought I was going to stay here, he must be stupid.

"My apartment," was my short response.

I know he wanted me to ask him to come with me. I just don't have the courage to ask him. Besides, there's only one bed.

I wish I had memories of how he really was.

I walk out the door, not looking back at him.