The Knife

December 20th.

The day before shortest day of the year, a day when the sunlight is lessened.

For a lot of people, it was a nothing day. Five days before Christmas and just another day they had to go through before holidays started.

For demigods, it was something completely different. It was the day before the winter solstice, a lot of times, it was the day before something big happened. Something dark.

You could feel the tension in the air around Camp. A few demigods whispered in small groups, worries and anxieties shared. It was unnerving that there had been no way to know how the questers were doing. But it had always been like that.

A flash of a bronze knife broke me from my thoughts. I sidestepped and grabbed Allyson's wrist. I turned her wrist and pushed her arm back so the knife edge was at her throat. She stepped on my foot and kicked at my knee. I backed up but I had to let go of her wrist. She tried to bring both knives down on me. I raised my bow and her wrists caught the wood. I kicked her stomach and she gasped, trying to find breath.

I took advantage and swung her knives from her grip. The edge of my bow stopped at her neck.

Allyson sighed. "So, you win."

I nodded and removed the bow from my throat. I picked up the two knives and handed them back to her. She slid them into their sheaths. Her movements were fluid like she was born with a blade in hand.

"Impressive," I said.

She smiled shyly. "I tend to drift off a lot in class."

"Can't say I blame you." The conch horn blew in the distance. Time to change activities. Archery was next. "Come on, time to see Cabin Seven." We followed Malcolm from arena and started down to the archery range.

"So how did I do?" Allyson asked.

"You're getting better," I told her. "Just make sure that you don't keep your stomach open. It's the reason I was able to win that last fight."

She nodded. "Keep stomach defended."

I nudged her elbow. "You're doing great, be proud of yourself. You haven't had much training but you're learning fast. It's impressive."

I saw her smile grow and her shoulders relax a little as we arrived at the archery range. I scanned the faces, but didn't find Will.

"Hey, Austin," I called. The boy looked over, looking a little uncomfortable with the bow in hand. "You know where Will is?"

"In the Big House," he told me. "Just... be patient with him."

I furrowed my brow, confused. I looked at Malcolm and he nodded. I gave him a small smile and headed for the blue farmhouse. I knew where he would be.

I headed for the second floor and down the hall. The first door on the right was open. I looked inside and found him. He was sitting in front of his brother's bed, head in his hands.

I knocked on the door. He looked up, his eyes wide in momentary fear. Then he saw me and relaxed slightly. "Didn't think I would see anyone," he said. His voice was rough.

"Shouldn't have left the door open," I said. I stepped inside and closed the door behind me. "How's he doing?"

Will looked back at his brother. He didn't say anything. I walked to his side. He looked at me and I nodded. I crouched down and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. He turned in his chair and hugged me back. This time I felt him shake and cry.

"I can't lose one of them again," he whispered. "Lee, Michael, Hudson, I... I can't." He buried his face deeper into my shirt. I clung on tighter to his. I let him cry for a while longer.