The Son Of Hades

I opened my pack and saw the envelope inside. I smiled and shook my head. "Hermes," I breathed. I opened the envelope and pulled the tape out. I put it in my recorder and plugged in the headphone jack.

"Hey, Lizzie," Jordan greeted. "Today was... interesting to say the least. We were hit by this really bad storm so we were stuck at the base practically all day.

"I love the guys in my troop, they're awesome, but there's only so much I can take, you know."

"Oh geez, thanks Parrish," a voice said in the background.

"Tell me I'm wrong, Rodriguez," Jordan countered. "That's what I thought." I smiled at the interaction. Only Jordan.

"Anyway," he said. "We've had to clean out sand from practically everything around the the base. When I say everything I mean everything. The trucks, the tech, my IED tech was full of sand. I'm not even kidding, there was a foot of sand in my kit.

"This is the first bit of free time I've had all day. I miss you. Can't wait to see you again. Bye Lizzie."

"Bye Lizzie!" A chorus of voices repeated. I smiled at the sound.

I put away mg recorder and laid my head against the side of the camp van. The smell of strawberry preserves was faint but inviting.

The smell of strawberries was a smell that I associated with camp. It made me relax and made me smile at the same time. Which was exactly what I needed after I got home from the trip across the country. The smell crept up on me when I was with Argus in the van, but it really hit me when I got out. I took a deep breath and felt my body relax. I could hear pegasi in the distance, along with the sounds of the forge and kids racing the nymphs.

"Good to be home," I said.

First thing first. I needed a shower.

I headed for my cabin, waving to Butch and Layla as they passed on their pegasi. Layla waved back then dived to the side to take the lead against her brother.

I passed the kids in the forge. I never understood why we had a forge when there was a better one under Cabin Nine. Never the less, I waved at the demigods inside. Sherman Yang paused in polishing his spear to nod in acknowledgment.

I passed the new line of cabins, going between the walls of Tepiscorch and the eloquent design of Polyhymnia. I smiled at the design and the cabins that spread out beside me. I was proud of them, most them my design and plan. Annabeth had Olympus and the Athena Parthenos, I had the cabins.

I opened Cabin Six to find it empty. I wasn't surprised. Malcolm was religious in the schedule and followed it down to the minute. I took off my backpack and set it by my trunk. I opened it and grabbed some clothes and a towel.

After I was done in my shower (very relaxing, by the way) I went back to my Cabin to just lay down for a bit. I had just finished putting my stuff away when the door opened. I was expecting Will since Malcolm is usually in Monster Class by now. I was surprised to see Nico there, red faced and a little out of breath.

"Nico?" I asked. "Are you okay? What's wrong? Is it Will?"

He shook his head then paused. "Well sort of," he said. "I need your advice."

I blinked in shock. "Um, why me?"

"Jason and Piper are out looking for Leo," he began. "I don't feel comfortable talking with anyone from Cabin Ten and you're close with Will. Plus, you're a daughter of Athena."

I sighed and walked over to the work tables. I pulled out a couple chairs and sat in one. "Tell me what's going on," I requested.

Nico sat and took a second to collect his thoughts. He folded his fingers together and leaned his head against them. I didn't say anything, just gave him a minute.