Chapter IX

As Lo'ak and I glided through the water on the search for his tulkun, I gazed around at the marine life, still amazed after all these years. Ad I removed my hand from Lo'ak's waist to touch a passing ilu, he grasped it, placing it firmly on his body again. Let's just say, a few air bubbles escaped my face.

A few minutes later, we surface the water, arriving by his tulkun. I see a large device sticking out of his fin, frowning.

"What is that?" I ask, rubbing my hand over the poor creatures fin.

"I don't know, the sky people put it there," he said angrily, his omaticaya accent showing. He swam up to the front of the creature, signing a few words. Suddenly, I hear a shout behind me. I turn to see Tsireya, Neteyam, Kiri, Ao'nung, and Roxto. I frown, confused.

"What are you doing here? How did you find us?" I ask, looking at my sister. Neteyam speaks up.

"I hunted and tracked all the time at home," he said, smiling at me. "We've come to help, anything could be in these waters. Besides, I can't stand that you're out here with this knucklehead by yourself."

Lo'ak turns sharply, eyes narrowing. "What did you say to me you-"

"What can we do to help-" Tsireya said, jumping in between the two boys. Neteyam and I give them instruction on how to remove the device from the tulkun, while Lo'ak signs to him, trying to calm him.

Me and Neteyam rest on his back when we finish, the others in the water. He sits cross legged in front of me, looking at me.

"You shouldn't have come out here alone, especially with my brother. He's always getting into trouble," he said, doing that little head tilt of his. I just shrug, laughing it off.

"I trust Lo'ak, and you should too," I say, looking at him in his eyes. He just sighs, looking into the distance. I place my hand on top of his, making him turn back to me. "Hey, he's not as bad as he seems. He has a good heart, Net."

Neteyam looks away for a few seconds, before turning back to me, cupping my cheek with his darker shaded hand.

"I know, I know. I just don't want you to get hurt," he says, staring into my eyes intently. I felt my skin warm up; I didn't know what to say. Thankfully, Tsireya comes up behind us, shouting.

"Y/n! Neteyam! In the water, now! They're coming!" She screams, eyes widened with horror.

"Woah, slow down! Who, Reya?" I ask, getting up to take her hand.

"The sky people!" She points behind me frantically. As I turn, I see a sky ship heading straight towards us on the horizon, approaching at an alarming rate.

"Go. Go!" I scream, taking both Neteyam's and my sisters hands, diving into the water.