[ CHAPTER 1 ]

I've always been interested in true crime cases for as long as I can remember. It first started when I was just a kid watching scooby doo, and from there it only became more and more of an obsession. Something I needed to know more about, something I needed to sleep at night like it was simply a human necessity. Even throughout college, while taking criminal psychology, my love for it only grew and now finally, I'm in the place where my favorite true crime stories took place. However, I'm only here as an apprentice to the two cops; Jack, a taller man with a very kind but tired smile and jet-black hair, and John who's not so nice (though, not to say he's mean) nor tall, with curly brown hair that seems unkempt. He tends to smell like smoke and you can definitely tell why, since he's always smoking. It seems easier to count how many times he doesn't have a cigarette in his mouth than when he does.

October 1st marks my first day on the job.

It was a relatively boring day, something I certainly wasn't expecting as the home of a serial killer, local cannibal, and practically a tank of human flesh, Bob Velseb... To be honest, that's really the only reason I was here. When I first watched the documentary on him, I became obsessed with the case. It's all I could think about in my last years of college. I almost failed my exams because of it. I kept asking 'How does a simple man from a simple, small town survive getting run over 4 different times and shot 6 more times.' It's truly magical.

During my train of thought, Jack walked up to me, "Hey there, how about we stop laying around here like some lazy old cops and go to the coffee shop down the street? What do you say, apprentice?" He smiled when I looked up at him.

"That sounds delightful, thank you, sir!" I smiled, professionally.

"Hey didn't I tell you to just call me Jack?" he grabbed his coat and handed me my own.

"Ah yes, I do recall that. Thank you, Jack." I said putting on my jacket, and waiting for John who grabbed his coat and, of course, he couldn't leave without his cigarettes.

At the coffee shop, 2:30 PM.

I grabbed our orders and sat down with Jack and John. I thought to myself, 'This would be the perfect time to talk about Bob... I need to know more.' Jack and John sipped their coffees happily, while I grabbed my drink in anticipation until I finally spoke up.

"Do you guys remember Bob, Bob Velseb?" They both stopped, looked at each other, and then at me in surprise.

John cleared his throat, "Uh, kiddo... why would you want to know in the first place?" I took a sip of my iced coffee and took a deep breath in.

"To be frank with you sir, he is the reason why I came to this small town... the reason why I wanted to be in this profession in the first place, why I reached out..."

John interrupted, "Okay, we get it, kid... But if you wanted to see him personally you know you could've just asked the mayor?"

Jack looked uncomfortable, "I wouldn't do that if I were you. That man is sick and sadistic. I'm not sure your young mind would take it well." He said while fidgeting with coffee.

'This was unusual.'

I clenched my fists, but took a deep breath and spoke once more. "With all due respect, I can handle it. I'll show you."

I took one last sip of my iced coffee and walked away, grabbing my coat. Probably not the best first day but I didn't come here to beat around the bush. I'd sigh stepping outside the coffee shop and being hit with a cool gust of October wind. I always found the fall season to be my favorite over all the rest. Not too hot and not too cold. Just the way I like it. I'd look over across the street to the candy store, 'Candy club'. 

'Hm... suddenly I have a really big craving for sweets.'  I thought while crossing the street and heading inside. A whiff of sweet candy filled the air. The sound of happy music in the background is just loud enough to hear but quiet enough to be able to hear someone else. The smell, the noises, and the bright colors, all were enough to make you feel like a kid again. I looked over to see a man in a candy store outfit, with black curly hair and a tired expression on his face standing behind the counter. Without him noticing I look around the store. I smiled

'Say, if I'm going to meet this serial killer I need to get some things he likes. He might talk more if I do...' I walked up to the candy store man setting down the candy bag, "Hello, Mr candy man." I waved slightly

He looked up at me and smiled, just like he would with any customer. "Good evening customer, getting some early Halloween candy?" I nodded, "Hey, I haven't seen you around here. Are you the new college apprentice for John and Jack?" He grabbed the bag counting the candy inside.

"I guess you could say that. But yes, I'm new. This town already seems so interesting."

He laughed, "Yeahhh, I hate my job but I don't hate the people here, at least not all the time. By the way, I'm Kevin. You?"

I held out my hand and smiled professionally, "I'm (Y/N), from [Insert city/country]."

Kevin shook my hand, "It's very nice to meet you, (Y/N). Be careful out there, especially around that skeleton and pumpkin kid. They always bring trouble... By the way, that will be 6.99." I nodded and handed him the money then grabbed the bag of candy,

"I'll keep that in mind, have a great evening." I held open the door,

"You too! Come back soon!" He waved while I walked out the door. 

Author's note - 

AAAA sorry, this one is a bit boring but it is just the intro to everything going on :p I promise the next one is gonna be extra fun !!