Chapter 33 - The ball

Wednesday's POV

———————————
It's the day of the ball. We started this morning off with a family breakfast. I sat down at a long table combined with Ajax's, Enid's and my family.
"So, I hear Wednesday and Enid are very close." Enid's mother spoke.
"That's nice, Enid and Wednesday are very different. It's a great friendship." Mother spoke smiling at Enid's mother.
"Well I hear we have a few relationships at this table." Ajax's mother spoke.

All the teenagers sitting at the table wanted to die. Even Enid.
"Mom.." Ajax spoke.
"It's nothing to be ashamed of Ajax!" His mother said laughing. All the parents joined in.
"It's nice seeing the connections you make at nevermore. They can grow for an eternity." Father spoke grabbing my Mother's hand.
I met Xavier's eye as he smirked at me. I blushed looking down.

After breakfast me and Enid went into our dorm to get ready.
"So, what hair are you going to do?" Enid asked me as she sat me down ready to style my hair.
"My plaits?" I questioned.
"Come on Wednesday! It's the fanciest night of the year!" She persuaded me.
"Fine, but if I see a pink bow in my hair I'm not going." I stated.
"How about a black bow?" She questioned.
"Don't even think about it." I said not wanting a bow at all.

She started to style my hair, curling it.
"You have such long hair actually, I rarely see it down." She smiled.
"I don't want anyone using it as weakness." I explained.
"Makes sense." She agreed.
She finished my hair and showed me by taking a photo and showing it to me.
"That looks.. nice? Good job Enid." I said trying to congratulate her.

" I said trying to congratulate her

Wednesday's Hair ^

She smiled excitedly and sat down in the chair.

"You know how to do hair right?" She asked.
I raised my eyebrows questioning.
"Of course I do, what do you want." I said.
"I want it curled with this in it." She said handing me a clip of sparkly leaves.
I sighed knowing I had to do the opposite of what I like. It's what Enid likes.

I finished and showed her.
"That's amazing! I didn't know you could do that." She said.
"I used to do my doll's hair before slicing their head off. It was their death day, they should look good." I replied. She seemed creeped out but said nothing being used to my humour.

 She seemed creeped out but said nothing being used to my humour

Enid's Hair ^

I changed into my dress after Enid changed into her's.
She was sitting down doing her makeup putting on colourful eyeshadow and a pink lipstick.
"You know how to do makeup right?" She asked.
"Not really. At home I use my relatives ashes." I replied sitting next to her.
"Here let me help." She said standing up and getting a dark makeup pallet.
She finished my makeup and continued doing hers.

I waited for her to finish.
"I can't believe we are doing this grand entrance with all the girls!" Enid spoke happily as we walked to the ballroom.
"Uncle Fester is one for the dramatics. Why should we do this in the 21st century?" I asked annoyed.
"Come on just have fun!" Enid said skipping to the back of the line.
Every girl was dolled up in dresses. Though none in black. Just like the dance. Is it that intimidating of a colour?

I was the last to enter. Every girl starting walking through the doors and down the stairs. All the parents and boys were already waiting in the ballroom.
Enid walked downstairs and soon after I followed expecting no one to look at me.
As I entered I heard whispers.
"She looks even better then the dance." Bianca smiled.
I looked around and saw my family smiling at me. I then met eyes with Xavier. He was wearing a black and white suit. Instead of having his hair in a bun like last time it was down hitting his shoulders.
I would be lying if I said he didn't look good.

I finished walking down the stairs and everyone averted their gaze. I walked towards Xavier.
He smiled at me grabbing my hands.
"You look so amazing Nes." He spoke looking me up and down.
"Thank you." I spoke shyly.
Music started to play.
He looked at me and smiled. "Can I have this dance m'lady." He said jokingly.
"Very well." I replied smugly.
We walked out onto the dance floor, he put his hand on my waist and I put my hand on his shoulder.

"This reminds me of the night we danced in your house." He said looking down at me.
"Our first kiss." I replied looking up at him.
"Oh yeah." He smiled.
"I'm glad you woke up." I spoke.
"Really, why?" He asked still smiling.
"Because I wouldn't be able to do this." I said, checking if anyone is watching I quickly kissed him.

"Well, then I'm glad I woke up to." He joked at I hit his arm softly.
We continued dancing for a while before going to our table.
I sat down with Xavier and not even a minute later Mother sat down too.
"I see you guys having fun out there?" She asked smirking.
"I'm surprised Father and you aren't dancing." I spoke.
"Actually, your Father is requesting a special song right now." She said pointing at Father speaking to the Dj.

Salsa music starting playing as Mother stood up meeting my Father in the middle of the dance floor.
I banged my head on the table realising what is about to happen.
Xavier started laughing. He put his hand down where I was going to bang my head stopping any damage.
I looked up to see the dance floor cleared out, all eyes on my parents as they danced around the room romantically.
As my Mother spun around the room everyone seemed amazed. Except me.
Father caught her and everyone clapped. They had finished dancing and walked back to the table.
"Wasn't that amazing my little storm cloud?" Father spoke proudly.
"It was indeed!" Uncle Fester said behind them.
"Brother! This ball is amazing. Reminds me of Mother and Father's balls." Father said.
"That was the plan." He smiled, but was dragged away by a parent.

"I can't stand this anyone, let's go dance." I spoke grabbing Xavier's hand and leaving.
We joined Enid and Ajax on the dance floor.
I started dancing, it was similar to when I was dancing last year. But unlike Tyler who stood still watching me Xavier danced with me making the experience fun.
Everyone started to copy my spooky moves and eventually everyone was having dancing on the floor.

The night was over and I started to walk back to my dorm.
I felt someone grab my hand. I turned around to be with Xavier.
"Fancy a late night walk?" He asked.
"Fine." I replied as we started to walk to our spot.

We arrived and I took off my heels, as my feet hurt from the night.
"Did I tell you that you look beautiful tonight." Xavier said sitting down next to me.
"I'm pretty sure you already mentioned it." I replied meeting his gaze.
"Good." He said resting his palm on my face.
Those butterflies keep coming back.

I looked down at the school and saw people scattered throughout. There were students having an after party and parents wandering throughout the school.
"I can't believe next year we are graduating." I spoke.
"At least we will all be able to go out into the world, rather then just being outcasts." Xavier spoke.
He was right. It would be nice being an author and being able to right as myself.

I rested my head on his shoulder, him rested his head on top of mine. He grabbed my hand and kissed the top of my head.
"We can also be together as well." He spoke.
"In that case, graduating won't be that bad." I spoke with a small smile on my face.

————————
That was a cute chapter!

Next chapter is them graduating!!!! Then epilogue :(

I'm so thankful about the support, it really helped me continue to write this book!

If you guys really want I might write one more chapter before graduation ??

Katrina