"david, we need to talk" i stood by his office, hands by my hips, trying to get any sort of attention or response from him.

but no, he was speaking to someone on the phone yet again, trying his best not to acknowledge anyone.

"give me one second nina, i'm speaking to someone vitally important"

"but i need to discuss something vitally important!"

"i know, but there is a chair outside my office for a reason" he waves his hand as an indication that he doesn't want me there anymore so i sit, staring at my worn out converse (well technically they belong to ricky but he let me borrow them) hoping to god that he will speak to me soon.

"let me guess, david being a douchebag?"

"how did you know?"

"i can tell from the way you have been sat there for at least fifteen minutes"

"well yeah.."

"i'm avery,, i have never seen you around before, are you new?"

"that's because i'm literally never in the office, i tend to avoid things that involve confrontation at all costs, especially after the mess that happened a few months ago"

"omg wait! you're nini, as in podcast die for you nini?"

"real name's nina actually but nini is a nickname"

"oh my gosh, i'm a huge fan! you work here?"

"well not quite, it sometimes feels like i'm walking a tightrope, david doesn't want me to deal with risky cases"

"i get that, david treated me like that a few months ago but he'll warm up to you, you kinda just have to prove yourself to him"

"but how can i do that when he won't even let me in his office?"

"you just break the rules, maybe don't speak to david just yet though, i heard his son wants to be in this department and he is well.. not exactly thrilled"

"so that's what's up with his attitude?"

"yeah, i thought you-"

"nini! you wanted to speak to me?"

"good luck" avery mouthed, gently pushing me towards the door as i sat opposite him.

"ok, some rules before we begin, you don't just intrude on a phone call nini, it's not professional and it makes me look like an idiot"

"well maybe you are" i muttered under my breath but i instantly regretted it when i realised he heard it.

"what did you just say?!"

"i said maybe you are an idiot, i mean, look, i was able to figure out the real truth behind lily keegan and i... i haven't been given a proper case since i joined the team three months ago"

"that's due to the fact that you are young and inexperienced"

"i'm 18, almost 19 so technically, i'm nearly an adult and age is just a number, plus, no offence but if you needed someone to figure out what exactly is going on, you need a young adult who is most likely going to be your best bet"

"avery and daisy are good at that"

"so what am i? a charity case? look David, i came here because i know you care a lot about me but i'm my own person and i can handle a bit of danger so what i was going to propose was this. for spring break, i want to be able to look into ej caswell's death into more depth"

"we already know who killed him, it was that, what's her name?"

"her name was ashlyn moon caswell and she was ej's cousin, yet, you couldn't even remember that, which is exactly why i need to investigate"

"nini, this is-"

"no! i want to do this, ej was my friend and although the keegans have some justice, ej's family don't, plus, there cases are interlinked in some way and i have to find out why ashlyn would take it out on a cousin and a girl?"

"what do you get if you do this?"

"nothing, i don't expect much, i just expect you to be able to trust me, my aim is to make a second season of my podcast with richard bowen and from that, we could get more evidence that way, so, it's your choice, do you still want me in this team or do you want me to leave?"

"are you blackmailing me?"

"of course not, i'm just convincing you that i can do this, so will you let me?"

"god, fine, but if you mess this up, your job in here will be done"

"fine, oh and by the way david, be easy on your son, he may just be a slightly better detective than you-"

"out!" he ushered me out of the room and i smiled at myself.

i was going to do this, for ej!