Wild Wagon Ride

Let me tell you a story about a woman who fell into two crowds: the good and the bad.
Of course, there are pros and cons to each category, but I suppose it only depends on the way you look at it...

TW!: guns, blood, violence, murder
This chapter was inspired by the song "Let the Chaos Reign" by Pop Evil

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kam kept her head down.
Guns were being fired left and right, bullets going over her head and striking the cage she was stuck in. She didn't have anything to defend herself with other than a dull knife that barely broke through the ropes that tied her wrists together. Pinkerton's were all over the place, coming out of the trees and down the roads- they were everywhere.

"We're not gonna get outta this easily- what's the plan, Hosea?" Arthur yelled as he rode on his horse next to the wagon. John was positioned in the passenger seat, his elbows resting on the cage as he fired as many shots out of his rifle as he could. Arthur shot from his revolver, missing every now and then; but then again, who could blame him?

"I'll get us outta here, you two try to get them off us!" the older man shouted back as he whipped the reins again.

Now, usually, Kam wouldn't resort to this, but seeing as Pinkerton's were surrounding the four outlaws, she didn't see any other choice. She sure as hell wasn't about to go down without a fight, and she had a feeling that when the opportunity came, Hosea, John, and Arthur would all ditch her for dead. She wanted to fight- to feel the burst of gunpowder as it exploded a bullet through a gun- any gun. She wanted to watch as their pursuers heads exploded due to the led projectile hitting their skulls.

"I can help- han' me a gun!" Kam stood with her chest pressed to the wall on the other side of the driver's seat, pounding on the metal bars.

"Are you insane? You'll kill us all as soon as I give you one!" John looked down on her, both glares meeting each other as they talked.

"Okay okay- I promise not to kill y'all 'til after I get rid of them Pinkerton's!" she put her hands up in defense, eyes locking onto John's while he fired more horrible shots.

"You promise?" an older, kinder voice interrupted their glaring session. Arthur, of course, had to pipe in. "Are you serious, Hosea? She'll kill us-"

"I don' exactly like Pinkerton's neither! It's either we all die here, or I can help 'n we might all die here!" Kam's eyes switched to Hosea, the older man glancing back and forth between her and the road. "C'mon!"

Hosea didn't say a word. His face twitched in thought as the hooves of the detective agencies horses got closer to the carriage. Kam looked to her right to see a horse gain on them, immediately looking back to Hosea. For a brief moment, there seemed to be a glimpse of mercy in his eyes. If anyone looked like an angel then, it was Hosea.

"I trust you. Don't make me regret it." the older man with whitening hair from blonde to gray swung his rifle over his shoulder and held it in his right hand. There was one last glimpse of that trust and hope that flashed in his iris', that feeling of warmth that made Kam's face feel relaxed and... loved.

Hold on- 'loved'? Loved... what a strange word- what a strange feeling.

His old, wrinkled hands passed the rifle through the iron bars, Kam gratefully taking it with both hands as her fingertips caressed over the barrel, the magazine, and the stock of the gun. She loved how it felt in her hands, how the feeling of danger lay in her fingers. The smell of the nearly rusted metal made her brain fuzz and her nose hairs tingle. The feeling of the gun in her hands nearly made her forget why she held the weapon.