Happy Birthday - Chapter 14

Percy POV

I woke up to all my friends screaming in my ear.

I shot up and hit the thing closest to me with a pillow. I didn't really mean to, just instinct.

"Ow!" Grover yelled.

"Sorry. What the hell, guys! I was sleeping." I complained.

"Happy Birthday!" Frank said.

"What?" I asked.

"It's August 18. Your birthday, right?" Hazel said.

"Yeah." I stated. "I don't like celebrating my birthday."

"Who doesn't like celebrating their birthday?" Frank wondered.

"Me." I replied.

"Oh. Why?" Frank asked.

"It's just never really been a happy day for me. At least not recently. I spent the last one grieving and blaming myself for Leo's 'death.' The one before that was spent fighting a war. The one before that was just a reminder that we were getting closer to said war." I tried to explain.

"But you're turning 18! You can move out of the tower! Come back to camp!" Will exclaimed.

"Yeah. I guess." I didn't want to come back to camp. Everyone there knows me too well.

It's hard enough pretending to not be in the middle of getting possessed by a freaking primordial in front of my friends that I see everyday. In front of Chiron? Forget it. I would spill my guts.

But, I do hate living with Tony. I don't know. I have to decide still.

"I'm not sure if I want to move out from the tower." I started. "These people are...growing on me." Blatant lie.

"You haven't done anything except complain since you moved in here." Nico pointed out.

"I mean, I guess. But still. It gives me a bigger sense of normalcy. I can pretend that I'm not a demigod sometimes. Just relax and watch tv." I argued.

"I get it." Nico threw a pillow at me. "But still, get up! We have school."

"It's my birthday! Why do I have to school?!" I whined.

"You were the one who said you don't like celebrating your birthday." Thalia reminded me.

"Can I retract that statement?" I asked.

"No." He pulled out from under my head and hit me with it.

I grabbed it off of me and hit him with it.

It quickly turned into a fully-fledged pillow fight. Which Nico, Thalia, and I quickly dominated.

Thalia was taking a break from the hunters to "spend" the day with me. More like annoy me the entire day. I still like hanging out with her though.

But she, like Annabeth, knows me too well. It's only a matter of time before she notices. And once she does...well, I don't know what I'll do.

••••****••••****••••****••••****••••****••••****••••

We all went to the main kitchen once we finished cleaning up the pillows. Most of them got destroyed. Either that or mysteriously went missing in the middle of the game.

I suspect someone throwing them off the balcony.

"Happy Birthday!" The Avengers yelled as I walked into the room. A blue birthday cake sitting on the counter.

I smiled despite myself. "Guys. You didn't have to."

"Nonsense. No matter how much you hate me, today is a special day! You're 18! And I heard you like blue food." Tony said.