Vol 2 Chapter 3: Painting The Town Red

No One's POV

Still in the same alleyway, Ruby looked at Zuki, surprised from what he had said.

Ruby: Called it?! What do you mean "called it?!"

Zuki: Did you forget that I can sense energy? When we first met Penny I couldn't sense a trace of life energy from her, so I knew something was off. Now that we know she's a robot, I can say that my hunch was right after all.

Ruby then looked back at Penny, still shocked.

Ruby: Penny, I-I don't understand...

Penny: Most girls are born, but I was made. I'm the world's first synthetic person capable of generating an aura. I'm not real...

Ruby then walked up to Penny and held her hands.

Ruby: Of course you are. You think just because you've got nuts and bolts instead of squishy guts makes you any less real than me or Zuki?

Zuki: She's right. You may be a robot, but you act just as real as the rest of us.

Penny: I don't, um...

Penny looked back and forth between Ruby and Zuki.

Penny: You're both taking this extraordinarily well.

Ruby: You're not like those things we saw back there. You have a heart and a soul, I can feel it.

Zuki: Plus, you're a lot nicer than them anyway, that should count for something.

Penny smiled at Zuki and Ruby and hugged them both tightly.

Penny: Oh! Ruby, Zuki! You're both the best friends anyone could have!

Zuki: Hugging... too tight...!

Penny: Whoops!

Penny let them go and giggled.

Penny: Sorry, got a bit too excited.

Zuki: Jeez, you've got one hell of a grip...

Ruby: I can see why you're father would want to protect such a delicate flower!

Penny: Oh, he's very sweet. My father's the one that built me! I'm sure you two would just love him!

Ruby: Wow, he built you all by himself?

Penny: Well almost, he had some help from Mr. Ironwood.

Ruby: The general?

Zuki: That explains a lot.

Ruby: Wait, is that why those soldiers were after you?

Penny: They like to protect me too.

Zuki: A bit too much it look like. Don't they know that you can protect yourself?

Penny: They're not sure if I'm ready yet. One day, it'll be my job to save the world. But I still have a lot left to learn.

Zuki: So that's why you're fighting in the tournament, right? So that you can prove yourself?

Penny: That's right! That's why my father let me come to the Vytal festival. I want to see what the rest of the world is like, and test myself in the tournament.

Ruby: Penny, what are you talking about? Save the world from what? We're in a time of peace.

Penny: That's not what Mr. Ironwood said.

Just then, Zuki sensed the energy of Ironwood's soldiers.

Zuki: The soldiers are coming back!

Penny: You both have to hide!