Chapter 4

The family stared the the spot he previously was. It was dead quiet.

Antonio, now a baby, began to mewl and whine. This caused Mirabel to stir, gently sitting up, eyes still closed and she rocked the baby.

"Shhhh...hush Toñito..." She yawned. The noise jolted Bruno awake; he had always been a light sleeper.

"Eh? What time is it?" He looked tiredly at Mirabel and Antonio.

"M-Mirabel? Do you want me to take him?" Bruno asked.

"Are you sure? He might be hungry." Mirabel said. On cue, Antonio's mouth started opening and closing, asking for food.

"Por favor, I'll take him while you make him a bottle." Bruno said.

Just as Mirabel was about to hand the infant to her tío, she froze, staring at the family in front of her.

Bruno was about to ask what was wrong, when he followed her gaze. On instict he moved in front Mirabel, despite being scared out of his mind.

"Wh-who are you people?" Bruno said. He only (barely) recognized Pepa and Julieta. But his mamá was old and withered; at this age, he remembered seeing her age to be about in ger late 30's to early 40's. Now she was at least in her 70's or 80's; something he couldn't comprehend at only 13. The rest of his family, he couldn't even begin to recognize.

"Bruno..." Mirabel back behind him, tighten her hold on Antonio, who was still whining. "That's Abuela. A-and Mamá, and Tía Pepa. But the others look so much older I don't..." She back away, clutching Antonio like he was her lifeline.

"Abuela? You mean..." He turned to look at Alma. "Mamá?"

Alma flinched. She hadn't heard his voice in over 10 years, let alone his child voice.

"Brunito...We..." She stopped.

How was she gonna explain this to them?

"I think, we should all talk at breakfast." Julieta sighed.

This was gonna be a long day.