Chapter 13

Mirabel was following closely behind Luisa, actively avoiding walking next to Isabela. She had no problem with Luisa, but her and Isabela weren't on the best terms.

"Um...where are we going?" Mirabel said, jogging up to Luisa's side.

"You know that old farmer's field we used to go to when we were younger?" Luisa said, pointing at the field not far ahead of them.

"Yeah...?" Mirabel said.

"Well, we're going there!" Luisa laughed, pulling Mirabel into a side hug. She felt Mirabel stiff a little before she quickly relaxed. Luisa frowned.

"Really? A-Aren't you two busy?" Mirabel said, looking at Luisa before glancing at Isabela.

Isabela waved her hand. "Abuela gave us the rest of the day off. We finished our chores anyway...well, for the most part."

Mirabel shrunk a bit when Isabela spoke, hiding under Luisa's hold. Isabela pretended not to notice, but deep down it did hurt. While her relationship with 15 year old Mirabel was mending, 11 year old Mirabel was still a bit on edge.

But could she blame her? Isabela had pretty much berated her and got mad at her for stuff out of her control. Looking back, Isabela could see just how hard Mirabel tried. She would take on house chores for other family members, and she had repaired countless dresses of Isabela. On a few, rare occasions, Mirabel had even taken Isabela's deliveries. But Isabela ignored that, just because Abuela did too.

And when Isabela was visibly distressed, what did Mirabel do? She told her to let it out and even helped her. When Abuela yelled at her that night, Isabela stood on the side and Mirabel still stood up for her. Isabela winced. She and Mirabel weren't on the best terms when they were younger, and yet, Mirabel still helped in any way she could.

After another 10 minutes of talking and walking, they finally came to the old field, which was a little ways away from the town, so it was quiet.

Luisa dropped down in a patch of grass, breathing heavily as she relaxed. Mirabel sat next to her and Isabela plopped down on her other side.

"It's so nice to be here...nobody asking me for a million things and million times a minute," Luisa mumbled.

"People are still asking you for things that they could do themselves?" Mirabel said, snapping her head to her older sister. Luisa's shoulders hunched up a bit. "Luisa!"

"I-I know I said I'd stop and learn to say no, but they looked so desperate! And they need someone to help them, I've gotta hold them up!" Luisa argued.

"Luisa," Mirabel had a stern look on her face. Despite not wanting to, Luisa made eye contact. She winced at the look. She knew it well. "You said that you'd start taking breaks!"

"I-I know, but they depend on me!" Luisa said back.

"No buts! From now on, you have to take breaks. The town can go a while without you. I don't want you getting hurt because you've overworked yourself. You thought I wouldn't notice your eye twitching? Ha!" Mirabel fell into the ground on her back. "You WILL take breaks. And I will personally make sure you do. No buts, no cuts, no coconuts." Mirabel huffed. She leaned back, and slowly, Luisa relaxed a bit more, leaning on her arms.

"I'll try," Luisa smiled, looking down at Mirabel. "Y'know, cause you're my favorite sister," She said, eyeing Isabela.

"Hey!" Isabela called out.

"I'm just telling the truth," Luisa said, sighing dramatically.

"Well, I must be Mirabel's favorite," Isabela said proudly. She quickly lost her confidence when she looked back at her youngest sister. How could she think that? To think that she, Isabela Madrigal, was Mirabel's favorite. After all those years? 10 years of Isabela being nothing but mean and cruel all because she didn't have a gift?