ix. lana

ALIANOVA'S POV CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA

ALIANOVA'S POV
CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA

MY HANDS CLENCHED THE EDGE OF THE SINK.

The breaths that escaped my throat were hoarse, coming out in short gasps.

I couldn't believe it.

She'd been so close this entire time, and I never suspected.

Mavis was her new daughter.

And I was merely the memory she mourned.

"Успокойся, Алианова. Ты в порядке. Не паникуйте." Calm down, Alianova. You're okay. Do not panic.

I muttered this over and over until my heart ceased the erratic beating. With a sigh, I turned on the tap and splashed cold water onto my face.

I thought these panic attacks would leave me.

Apparently not.

My trembling fingers slowly pulled my hoodie over my head. I noticed a dark patch staining the back of it. "Christ." I hissed, I threw it in the hamper and looked back into the mirror to inspect the damage I had done.

The entire white bandage was almost soaked through. Crimson blood stained the bandages.

"You've got to be kidding me."

Groaning, I pulled my hoodie over my head once again and left the bathroom after washing my hands. I could hear Uncle, North and Luke downstairs-I wondered how I was going to tell Uncle I needed to see Dr. Roberts.

I quickly stepped inside my room and grabbed my phone before leaving.

"Little Bird?" I looked over my shoulder, seeing Uncle walking up the stairs. His expression was worried. I couldn't help but feel guilty. "What's wrong? North's expecting you downstairs."

"I ripped my stiches." I sighed, feeling the slices on my back throb. Uncle's eyes widened once he saw the ruined bandages once I pulled up the back of my hoodie. "Shit." He cursed, "How did this happen?" He implored, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"When I grabbed the branch to get my sheet, I got startled." I sighed, feeling slightly woozy. Uncle nodded before grabbing my arm. "Come on, I'll see if I can talk to Phil-and see if he's able to show up."

"Okay."

I slowly walked down the stairs, and thankfully I didn't see anyone but North-who waited at the landing patiently. I forced a smile once I saw him.

Uncle smiled at North, "Where's the others?" He asked, looking around the vacant living room. "They're in the kitchen," North replied gruffly, his intense gaze already on my face.

"Little angel," He murmured, pulling me to his side gently. Uncle smiled at the scene in front of him before pulling his phone out of his pocket. "I'll be back in a minute."