King of Heroes

We step inside the high walls of the ancient city of Babylon, and I am immediately overwhelmed by the sight in front of me. There are streets as far as the eye can see, with stone houses, statues, beautiful, tall pillars - but the most incredible thing is that the very ground beneath one's feet shimmers like pure gold in the bright light of the Sun, as if the roads were paved with this beautiful metal.

"It... It wasn't just a myth?" I murmur low, almost speechless, that it's actually possible to have so much gold in one place.

"Huh? Which one?" asks Enkidu, who is still standing by my side and gives me a pair of confused eyes, "The gold? Ah, no, the King loves gold, you see..."

"Oh, I've noticed," I say in a low voice, thinking back to Gilgamesh and what he looks like in my world — golden necklaces, bracelets, and earrings — even a golden wine glass. Does that man even have anything that isn't gold?

I look over my shoulder as I feel like someone is watching me, and see two men who I would guess are guards in town. They carry two large spears of the purest gold, and also have a shield on their other arm. Their faces are free, showing their tan, but clean, skin, and dark hair. Their eyes are as dark as their strands of hair, but shine with something resembling gold, matching their golden surroundings.

Their clothes consist of leather, with golden decorations on the chest, of small gold plates, to protect them from enemy weapons. The two guards are watching me as they talk. However, you just pull my white hood, which is attached to my cloak, slightly further down over my head, hoping that it is enough to hide my rather alien face from the light of the Sun.

I don't exactly look like the other people around here; My skin is light, my hair pink, and my eyes blue. It looks like almost everyone around here has dark hair, whether it's brown or black.

"Let's continue, Rin," Enkidu says with a smile, continuing to walk the golden roads, through the beautiful city of Babylon. People walk the streets, happy, happy with the way they live, even though it's a pretty humble life; despite the fact that there is gold scattered all over their streets, there are not exactly some people who adorn themselves with golden jewelry or the like. I am a little surprised by this.

"Did Gilgamesh really create all this?" I have to admit that it's really impressive; there are so many subjects, so many followers, who live happy lives, despite Gilgamesh's tyranny - perhaps it is precisely this tyranny that makes him achieve what he has?

I see women sitting and working outside, in the lovely weather, sewing clothes, weaving blankets, or making pots out of clay - everything looks so fascinating and they all send me friendly smiles, as it seems quite obvious that I'm not exactly here from the city. The glare of the gold around me makes it hard to hide my face from lighting.

"Do you want an apple, Miss?" asks a gentleman who is selling some different fruits, but mainly red apples, which are the most beautiful, red apples, without any marks or damage.

"Thank you very much," I say with a broad smile and accept an apple as a sample before Enkidu drags me along - apparently we don't have time to stand and converse with the inhabitants of the city. "Rin, Gilgamesh is waiting," Enkidu says, though I'm pretty sure Gilgamesh doesn't care about me. "Wait, Enkidu," I say suddenly, as the long-haired, pretty guy just keeps dragging me along.

"If these are Gilgamesh's memories, he doesn't know me, does he?" I have just realised that this may be the case. "Nope," Enkidu says simply, as if it's supposed to be obvious.

"Well-... What should I do then?!" I exclaim, "Why should I go at all? Why would a strange girl like me be let in to the king at all?"

"That's a very good way to learn something new about your Servant, isn't it?" says Enkidu, giving me a confused look and a little wrinkle on his eyebrows, "Don't worry, I'll stay with your side, I promise!"