Chapter 14

Amber

My knees felt weak as I tried to match my steps with that of Isaac's, he was walking so fast it felt like he was trying to run away from me.

Sighing, I gave up and stopped chasing after him and yep, I was right, he wanted to get rid of me and he did.

He didn't even turn around once to look if I was there or not, he just disappeared in the crowd leaving me all alone in a place filled with strangers, there's nothing I hate more than attending such meaningless parties where you barely know anyone.

We came here about twenty minutes ago but it feels like it's been hours, we greeted Alex and wished Jack, saw Suzie trying to throw herself at Isaac and fail miserably and then I started following Isaac like a lost puppy up until now.

Jack's house is so huge I'm afraid I might get lost if I'm not careful, I decided to just find a spot and sit there for the rest of the night but my mind was so restless and anxious it felt like I'd pass out if I didn't get out of here soon.

Pushing through the crowd of aristocratic people belonging to wealthy families I somehow made it to the balcony.

As soon as I opened the door fresh air hit my face which instantly calmed my nerves, it felt good to be alone.

"What are you doing here?" a voice came and startled me, it was Jack... God this is going to be so embarrassing.

"I... I um... I" I was struggling to give him an answer but he saved me from embarrassment when he said

"Relax will you, I know you don't like these things"

"What things?"

"Parties of course" he answered as if it were written on my face that I hate going to parties.

"No it's not like that really, I hate it when I'm in a room full of strangers with no one beside me" I confessed and regretted immediately, what the hell was I thinking?

"What do you mean? You have Isaac" he stated it in a hypothetical manner.

"Yes yes I do but I don't know the others and it really bothers me" I said at which he gave me a knowing look.

I walked towards the railing and rested my hands on it, I could feel him standing behind me.

"I just wanted some fresh air" I admitted.

"Me too" he said and I turned around to look at him

"Oh, I thought you liked it"

"Liked what?"

"Partying of course but here you are hiding away from it" I said and instantly covered my mouth.

"I'm so sorry I shouldn't have said that" I apologized and he chuckled before coming a little closer to me.

"No you're absolutely right, this is something I do because of peer pressure" he admitted.

"I'd rather spend my birthday with a good book than invite people over whom I barely know for partying with me" he continued and I could tell he isn't lying about it, I remember he told me how he himself is interested in literature just like me.

"It's okay I guess, I think it's cool to sometimes get out of our comfort zones and experience new things, I know partying isn't entirely new for you, I can bet you've been to loads of them but still-" he cut me off.

"Let's not venture into something so serious, you told me you have a masters in english literature" he stated and I simply nodded my head.

"Who is your favorite literary figure?"

"Do I have to choose one? I mean there are so many it's difficult to pick only a single one" I protested.

"There you are" a voice came and we both turned around to see Isaac at the door, he came upto to me and wound his hand around my waist.

"I was looking for you everywhere" he said smiling down at me and placing a light kiss on my cheek, I smiled back at him but I knew he is pissed off, I could clearly see it in his sharp blue eyes.

I hadn't realised how close Jack was standing until he backed away and created a fair amount of distance between us.

"We were talking about our favourite books" Jack said burying his hands in his front pockets in a sheepish manner.

Why did he look so nervous?

"What are you guys doing here?" another voice came... it was Alex.

He rushed to Jack's side and said in a hurried tone "Why are you hiding out here man? Everyone is looking for you"

He then looked at Isaac and me with a smirk on his face and Isaac announced "I think we'll head home now, she isn't feeling too well, she didn't even want to come to the party but I dragged her here"

Yea now he's thinking about me and putting my needs ahead of his, God this man is crazy.

"You go ahead, I'm coming" Jack told Alex and looked at both me and Isaac with his old mischievous grin back on his face.

"That's really sad, I thought you'd be happy to stay a little longer" Jack said to me.

"But the fact that you came despite feeling unwell means a lot" he closed the distance between me and him... taking my left hand in his, he placed a soft kiss there before backing away.

Alex was still standing there "Oh I don't know when our cold hearted friend will let us meet his beautiful wife again so it's better if I say goodbye properly" he said walking up to me and engulfing me in his arms.

"Goodbye beautiful" he said backing away and I gave him a smile that came from my heart, I really liked how positive Alex is.

Isaac then bid goodbye to both his friends and gripping my wrist as tightly as he could walked out of there, and out of Jack's house.

He was practically dragging me behind him but I really didn't have the energy left in me to fight with him.