Chapter 10 - The Night

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Grace

It's already been a week since the funeral for Dee was held.

I voluntarily took over any work duties for Kenzi in the days after, to let her properly rest and really process everything that's happened recently, but an hour into my shift today she turned up and demanded to do her regular rounds with a weirdly chipper attitude. I wasn't surprised and I didn't argue with her on it, just in case I caused her to become distant like she has been all week.
Instead, Ive just been trying to keep a focused eye on her movements. Especially since, judging by what she shared with me before the funeral, Kenzi has a tendency to distance herself both physically and mentally from things that are bothering her. I've even been staying at the shack with her just to make sure she doesn't take off on us. With that being said, the more days that pass, the more I think Kenzi is finally starting to get back to her normal self... I just hope that I never have to witness her as broken as the night of the funeral again.

"Oh- You're up!" I heard Kenzi state, attempting to mask what sounded like disappointment as she approached me from her bedroom and joined me by the fireplace.

"Yup" I replied, popping the 'p' as I studied her tired features under the orange glow of the fire.

For the first time since meeting her, I studied the long scar that runs from her left eyebrow and down the chiselled features of her cheekbones before it stops just above her defined laugh lines. Normally I'll deliberately ignore the large mark but I was strangely feeling more curious about the girls past lately. I've never dared to ask the cause of such an injury, but it must've been a traumatic ordeal to have left such a scar. Not that it even puts a dent in her strong and mysteriously alluring aesthetic. If anything I think it only adds to the allure.

"Can't sleep?" Kenzi asked

"I'm not tired" I responded simply.

"Me neither" She replied with a long sigh.

We sat in an awkward silence for what must've been an hour before she stood to say goodnight for the second time today. The whole interaction struck me as a little strange but I tried to put it to the back of my mind and lay down in front of the warm fireplace to finally try and get some rest.

However, not even 5 minutes passed before I realised why I felt so odd when Kenzi came in the room.

Why was she wearing her shoes and jacket?

"Wait a minute-" I said to myself as I stood up quickly and walked into Kenzis room unannounced without a second thought.

I eyed her curiously as her figure turned in the bed, noting the shoes that were on her feet are now sitting by a bag of clothing, along with her jacket.

"Uh-hello? Can I help you?" She asked sarcastically, obviously confused by my sudden and quite haste entrance.

"Yeah, actually. Can I ask why you had your shoes and jacket on when you came in earlier?" I challenged straight, hoping that I'd take her off guard.

Her expression changed after I confronted her about my suspicions and although the room is dark, I can tell she's all of a sudden nervous about something. Her breath has slightly quickened and she's avoiding any possibility of eye contact with me by scanning rapidly around the room.

"I-uhm I-I..."

"Yeah, I thought so..." I stated simply with disappointment, since I already knew the answer anyway

She sat up straight in bed with her back against the headboard, looking down as she placed her hands in her lap with a heavy sigh. My suspicions were definitely correct.