Chapter 15 - The Surprise

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Kenzi
(TW// Descriptions of violence, and guns)

"Morning..." I groaned as I slowly entered the living room, rubbing my eyes gently to remove the sleep whilst I scanned the room, expecting to find Grace.

Surprisingly, I didn't see her anywhere in the small room which only raised my alarm for a moment. Before I even had the chance to instinctually call out her name, she came walking through the front door, already fully dressed and clearly wide awake.

"Oh- Hey! You're awake" She huffed, slightly out of breath from wherever she's been this morning.

I eyed her curiously, noting how sweaty her forehead is and the way the hair beneath my fathers cap was stuck firmly in place. Her boots are muddy and the hoodie shes wearing is coated in a light dusting of dirt and forest debris.

"Busy morning, huh?" I questioned her.

"I uh- I just thought that I should deal with my own fuck up for once" She said before removing the hat and placing it on the table in front of her.

"You mean..." I asked, alluding to the disposal of the guy she killed last night.

She only nodded in response before stating that she was going to wash up outside and proceed to get ready so we can leave. I could tell by the way her shoulders hung low as she walked that her actions have been weighing on her this morning. I'm just glad she decided to keep me out of the dirty job.

I won't lie, I was just beginning to find it easier to separate the fear of Graces current situation from my fondness for the girl... but after last night, it feels like I've received one almighty bitch slap from reality, and it stings.
The facts are that currently, Grace is unstable, and we don't know if that's only going to worsen over time or if there's a chance that it'll regress in the future. Until we can figure things out, it's best to err on the side of caution.
It's times like this that I wish my mother was still around. She might not have had all of the answers we want, but I have a feeling that she'd at least know how to manage Graces explosive symptoms.

I decided that I should also probably get dressed, since it seems that Grace wants to get things moving quickly today, and threw on a pair of denims with a loose white tee. It seems like the weather has chosen today to break into springtime, so I decided to neglect my usual trench style jacket or a hoodie and tied my hair up in a loose bun. Once I was satisfied, I slipped on one of my lesser worn pair of boots and grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl to eat whilst I wait on Grace.
After a few minutes she came through the door in a similar manner to earlier on, but this time soaking wet and wearing only her sports bra and a pair of loose joggers with her old clothes bundled in her arms. I noticed that she has removed the bandage from her laceration to allow some air to reach the wound, it looks like it's a lot less inflamed than yesterday thanks to the antibiotics and thorough clean that I gave it last night. The large bite mark that sits just above her hip bone looks to be a lot calmer than it was before I applied the ointment to it, almost fully healed but most definitely going to leave an obvious scar. I did my best not to ogle the girls curves as she placed her clothes on the table and cleared my throat gently.

"It looks a little bit better today. How does it feel?" I asked her as I gestured toward the wound, remembering that it was irritated last night.

"A lot better actually! It hasn't itched all day thanks to that ointment" She replied, looking down to the mark and rubbing it lightly "It still doesn't hurt or anything so I don't think we need to worry about it too much anymore. My arm is definitely the worst of the bunch"

"Good, I'm glad it's feeling better. Have you eaten yet?"

"Yeah, I had a bit of bread earlier but I'll eat properly when we get back tonight. I just want to warn Chester about the Wolves searching for the truck and figure out what we can do, preferably before something happens" She said explained quickly.