Chapter 18 - The Meeting

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Grace

"Girls, I'm glad you could come so quickly! Please, take a seat. Did Darren find the cabin alright?" Chester asked as he greeted us both upon entering his office "He offered to fetch you when I asked a few people this morning. He said he's your friend?"

I chuckled lightly, remembering the lanky boy from yesterday. Although charming and clearly friendly, I wouldn't call him a friend just yet.

"He's an acquaintance, sir... but yes, he found us easily. Is everything alright?" Kenzi responded with her own question.

We've both been wondering what could be so important that Chester sent a guard to come collect us before sunrise. One minute we're sleeping, then the next thing we heard was glass being vigorously tapped and when I opened my eyes I immediately seen Darren staring directly through the bedroom window. It was creepy, to say the least.

"Blink, before I speak my next words, do not panic. Me and the community stand behind you, no matter what..." Chester began, capturing my attention with his words "Last night after you two left, we had a visitor. An ashy boy named Zack. He said you would both know him"

The name caused a fire to burn in the pit of my stomach, remembering the last time I encountered my so called friend. My blood began to boil slightly.

"That's the one who attacked us, sir. My old team mate" I responded.

"I thought as much. Well, he brought a note with him from Deacon. It doesn't say anything except the proposal of a meet, today at mid-day... I'll let you read it yourself so you know that I'm telling you the truth" He said carefully before passing me the small and slightly tattered piece of paper.

————
Tomorrow, at noon.
I'll bring a party of 4.
Let's discuss things like the old days, shall we?
You'll know where, I presume. Bring my girl. See you soon.
————

"This last part... what does he mean?" I asked him curiously, seeing as the note seems to allude to the fact he would already know the location of the meet.

He glanced at Kenzi and it only seemed to confirm whatever she was already thinking. She looked to her hands, clearly upset and fighting back whatever emotions she can feel being brought to the surface. Her brow furrowed deeply as she held back a tear, making me angry at whatever mind game Deacon is playing.

"He's talking about the river crossing in the forest, a few miles south... It's the location of the trade agreement that went wrong" He said, biting back some malice in his tone "He wants us to feel weak"

I nodded, understanding why they are both so clearly upset by his choice. It's a sick and twisted way to remind them of how quickly Deacons men can take control and I won't allow it.

"I'll go, but I'll go alone-"

"No the fuck you will not!" Kenzi interrupted, staring bluntly at me with a 'don't even try and argue' attitude.

"I agree with Kenzi. It's far too dangerous to go alone" Chester said firmly "I have a feeling that is exactly what he wants you to do... This is a deliberate move"

I sat silent for a moment to think it over, taking my shades off as if it would better my decision making. I know they're right. Deacon is probably hoping that I hand myself over to avoid causing any more trouble, or that Chester will refuse to help me given the previous interactions they've had with one another. Now I'm perplexed as to what we should do. I especially don't want Kenzi to have to visit the place that she lost her parents so suddenly, all because of me.